First Acan

funkpolice

woo hoo! I just got my first acan frag tonight. It's green and purple and about 6 heads. I'll post some pics in the morning.
bill

ReefLady

Staff member
You can't post that post without pics. ;-) LOL.

...(tap tap tap) .... patiently awaiting pics....

funkpolice

here's a pic, the guy I got it from said to expect the polyps to be about the size of a nickel. They are about a dime now, I'd be happy if that's all the bigger they got. They really fluoresce.
P1250504.jpg

bill

what are the specific requirements for acan. have always wanted them but i cant even get zoos to grow. got a non green thumb for coral

Zeppelin

medium light, medium flow, mysis once in awhile if you want to boost the growth, and make sure your magnesium levels are good. Acans are known to do the polyp bailout thing if the mag gets too low.

Like all other corals, IMO. Do a 10% weekly water change are youre close to golden. Only thing I add to my system is vitamin C powder, because the zoos seem to really like it. They are opened much better than before I was using it.

funkpolice

I'm thinking of trying it out. I have a bunch of zoas and I've heard it makes a difference. Do you have any sps in your tank? I'm kind of hesitant because I don't put any additives into my tank now, so I'm afraid something is going to get thrown out of balance.
bill

Zeppelin

I have a few sps, but not many. Mostly an lps and softie tank. Sps dont seem to be negatively effected at all though.