FIRE!!! Yikes!!!

Curtswearing

I had a powerstrip that was running several powerheads and my heaters catch fire. The lights in the house flickered and then I could smell burning plastic. Thank God I was home or this story wouldn't have a happy ending.

I'm going to buy a fire alarm to put by my tank and I'm going to put fire resistant drywall up on the back wall of my storage room today because I can't believe how quickly that a stud caught on fire. (My tank is built into my wall but the backside of it is in a storage room).

Attachments

• fried powerstrip (medium).jpg
    fried powerstrip (medium).jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 167

dickie52

Close one.......I have had the same thing happen. It is very important to have drip loops in anything electrical that is near your tanks.......

Does that outlet strip have a mini circuit breaker?Get one that's made of metal(strip)I really dont trust plastic strips!
Very close call,I'm glad everything else is OK.

VINA

Curtswearing

Yeah, I had drip loops and this was hanging on the wall away from water sources. I don't know what the cause of this was.

Curtswearing

Originally posted by VINA DEL MAR
Does that outlet strip have a mini circuit breaker?Get one that's made of metal(strip)I really dont trust plastic strips!
Very close call,I'm glad everything else is OK.

VINA

Not a bad idea....I think it's time for an upgrade.

Thanks!!!

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Sorry about the fire. I'm thankful that everyone and everything else is going to be OK. That is what is most important. Thanks for posting this for everyone, Curt.

Cougra

Thank goodness everyone is alright. That is a scary thing to witness. having a fire alarm near the tank sounds like a good idea.

Any idea why it would have suddenly went like that? Was there a short in one of the powerheads or heaters?

mick77

Wow Curt, looks like you caught it just in time! I'm glad everyone is alright. Had a similar experience this week with my VHOs. The quick disconnect from the ballast to the end caps started smoldering on me the other day. I too noticed the smell of burning plastic, only to see a small stream of smoke rising from the back of my tank. This weekend I'm installing a GFI and as soon as my new ballast is in, I'm wrapping everything in electrical tape!

Curtswearing

Sounds good Mick...glad you survived your situation too.

Ok....I just got back from Home Depot and got some new supplies. Powerstrips made out of metal instead of plastic, a smoke alarm for the tank, and another fire extinguisher. It has been awhile since I bought a fire extinguisher....they've really come down in price. It was only $10.

Attachments

• new supplies (medium).jpg
    new supplies (medium).jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 126

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Wow Curt glad everything turned out ok! Brings back a scarey memory with me also concerning those same type outlet..

UnderWaterParadise

my name is Rob and I'm a Zooaholic
Glad everything turned out ok. I'm going to Home Depot tomorrow and getting those Metal Surge protectors.

The one that burnt was only a Power strip not a Surge protector???? Would it have mattered if it were a surge???

Curtswearing

Correct....the original el-cheapos were simply powerstrips. I don't think it would matter one bit either way anyway. A fireman told me that GFCI wouldn't have even stopped the problem.

Craig Manoukian

Glad to hear that not ALL was lost Curt.

As I told you on the phone, that is almost a duplicate picture of what happened to my 20 gallon this summer. Was out of town and the tank was completely dark and still when I got home. Thank God there was no fire! The carpet was lightly burned, whew!

I have since moved the surge protectors from the floor, my bad, to a board that has drip loops and keeps the cords about at the heighth of the bottom of the tank. The salt creep is what burned as just plain water would create a short.:eek:

Gina

RS STAFF
Sorry to hear about your fire Curt. Very happy to hear everything is ok. '

I had no idea that salt creep could catch on fire Craig! We will have to double check on things under the tank!

dwall174

Originally posted by VINA DEL MAR
Does that outlet strip have a mini circuit breaker?
I don't trust those breakers either! I had a plastic power strip do the same thing several years ago. In my case it was from not having a drip loop I guess I learned that lesson the hard way! :eek:
Anyway what amazed me was that the circuit breaker never tripped! Just like “Curt” I was lucky that I was home when it happened. I now use the metal strips & also hard wired a couple more regular outlets next to my tank.

UnderWaterParadise

my name is Rob and I'm a Zooaholic
Does anyone have a Pic of a "drip loop" I'm not sure if I know what everyone is taking about. All of my electrical is hung above the plumbing and sump to where nothing would drip on it.

TIA

Maxx

Hey Curt,
WOW man....I just heard...I'm so sorry to hear about this. I hope that the Rachel, the dogs, and your tank are fine.
Does the fire dept have any idea what might have caused this? Do you think it was just cheap parts getting too much electrical resistance and heating to the point of combustion?
I wonder if the American DJ power centers will be something to watch for in that regard as well...?
Hope things are well in the Swearing household,
Nick

Last edited by a moderator: