finger leather help

CREEPIN

hey guys i recently purchased a finger leather coral and xenia (both on same frag) for like 2-3 days the finger opend fine..now its been like 3-4 days and hasnt opend...should i be worried, the xenia is touching it, and my water is perfect...? any ideas of what i should do? i have it on the top of my tank so it gets alot of light...
Thanks,
-Frank

lcstorc

What are your parameters?
What does the xenia looks like. Is it opening etc?
Can you move the 2 apart from each other? Generally it is a bad idea to have corals touching so that could be it but there could be another problem.
Can you post a pic of it? Preferrably one with it open and one now. If you don't have one where it looks good then just post one of how it looks now.

framerguy

I looked at this before but wasn't sure how to answer. How did you acclimate it to the light? What do you mean "open"? Mine inflates and deflates but doesn't really have polyps that open so you may have a different "finger" leather than I do. Do you know the Latin name? The Xenia shouldn't bother it. I have Xenia touching mine with no worries. Have you tested the iodine levels? What's the temp and is it stable? Can you define "perfect"? Sorry for the questions but it may help getting someone more knowledgable about them to answer.

CREEPIN

http://www.garf.org/1/TREVOR/CATALOG/481364.jpg it looks like this one...by open i means like its little tenticles extended...i dripped the coral for about 1 hour...i put the coral in while i had the actinics then hour later lights out...i dont have a test for iodine..so i dont know..i do know that while cleanin my tank it fell over and when i fixed it back up...never was the same again...i have to test my water when i get home..

framerguy

Ah, yes. Way different than mine. The Xenia is the pom pom variety and that is what is touching mine. With their quick pulsing they could just be irritating the leather. If you can move them (and it won't hurt the Xenia to just pull them off and move them) I would do that. Dropping it may have simply injured it and it may take a few more days to recover. They are very tough corals and will usually bounce back.

lcstorc

All leathers can be tempermental. Has it slimed at all? If so you can blow off the slime with a turkey baster.

lcstorc

not necessarily good or bad. Leathers slime from time to time naturally. I have had mine deflate with or without the slime. They usually only stay pouty for a day or two though. If it was my tank I would do a water change and run carbon. It isn't likely to hurt and may very well help.