Finding people and prices?

iamkellogg

Where do you find people to buy from and trade with once you get started in this hobby? Also how do you know what a fair price is to pay for a coral when you are getting started? How can I make sure I do not get taken advantage of especially since I am female. Or will being a girl get me farther in this hobby.:p ?

Kelly

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
LOL Kelly. I'm not sure being a female is advantageous or not... though it does have its perks ;)

Truth is, you never know so you need to read reviews and take other people's experiences with a vendor into consideration. I try to choose vendors or "fraggers" very carefully; only doing business with the ones that are recommended by others.

"Window shop' online and at local fish stores so you know what certain corals are going for. Once you are familiar with the 'normal price' of things, you become more comfortable making a purchase decision.

Good luck! And don't beleive everything you hear :)

iamkellogg

Well, Saturday I went poking around the city for some frags and what i found looked bad. There is one place that sold corals and they did not have much to pick from and his prices were high I thought. I have seen much better things on the internet cheaper even with shipping. Then I found some at another store and the employess did not know anything and told me if I wanted anything in the saltwater tank I would have to go get it out myself because they were afraid of bristle worms and urchins.:bouncebox Needless to say I am still fragless. :(

Kelly

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
LOL! Well then, go for the popular online vendors. Our sponsors are excellent choices!

saltwaterfarm

I find that it is really helpful to know what I'm looking at. If you go in there and seem to have a clue what you're talking about... you are more likely to get results. But you have to remember... although there are a ton of ladies on here... the hobby, unfortunately, is predominantly male. I have specific places that I go for things and don't usually stray far from my "comfort zone".

mps9506

Where are you located? Sometimes you can find local hidden gems from your local reef clubs or through the net.

Triggerjay

I wish I had a local reef club. I would try to start one, but would have no idea how to find people...Nearest one to me is 200 miles away in St. Louis

Jason

billyr98

Frag Swaps are the way to go also... You get to see everything and you can purchase there, not just trade...

lcstorc

RS is also a good resource. Lots of people here trade or sell frags. I would also do an internet search for a local reef club. Those are the best because you can see what you are getting and know what lights they have been under etc.

BoomerD

Where are you located? There may actually be members here who are in your general area who can point you to a good LFS, who know of a local reef club, or may actually have frags available...

iamkellogg

I am in Southern Indiana. The nearest city is Evansville. I am wanting to get started with whatever is easiest and hardiest. I have been reading and getting the basic supplies together as far as lighting, supplements, gloves, glue, etc. I want to make sure I am ready. I love all kinds of coral and I really do not want to get in over my head and kill anything. :smack: I also do not have tons of money to throw into this if I am going to suck at it.

Kelly

iamkellogg

I am looking for Zoanthids and mushrooms I think. Anything tough. Anything hardy. I have been reading and taking suggestions. I have emailed a few people from frags.org and nobody has emailed back.

Kelly

iamkellogg

That would be awesome. I think I will worry about pretty later. ;) I am sure they are pretty enough for starters.

Kelly