Find out how you can help save our oceans

SeaTreasures

I got this information from a friend of mine that his club has been posting this information. I thought it was a good idea on how to get this information out to fellow hobbyists. When they update their thread I will also update this one.

If any of you have any information to contribute to this thread please feel free to do so. Or, if any of you find that this information is not useful let me know and I'll stop updating it :)

Last edited:

SeaTreasures

How to use care2.com to help

www.care2.com
This site is dedicated to helping animals and other great causes. One of their sections is called click to donate. What this does is each click that they receive one of their sponsors donates so much towards the cause that you clicked on. Below, using the link, you will be taken to the click to donate page related to helping the oceans.

[FONT=Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]http://oceans.care2.com/i?p=131382936
racebannerdolphin.gif

[/SIZE][/FONT]

SeaTreasures

Marine Sanctuaries

A key decision is about to be made about whether or not our National Marine Sanctuaries will be able to protect important marine habitats and ecosystems within their boundaries.

Please take action right away and let the Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration know our National Marine Sanctuaries must be able to protect our special ocean places and the marine life they contain.

When you look out over the open ocean you can picture the marine life teeming below the surface - sea turtles, whales, fish, vibrant corals, and lush kelp forests. Sadly, however, our living oceans are showing significant signs of declining health. Human activities have resulted in habitat destruction, overfishing and loss of biodiversity, damaging ecosystems.

To help protect and manage many of the most special portions of our ocean environment, some areas have been designated National Marine Sanctuaries. Similar to our national parks and wildlife refuges, marine sanctuaries are supposed to protect, where necessary, and restore the living marine resources within their boundaries, while providing for public education and enjoyment.

But not all marine sanctuaries are created equal. Many actually allow activities that harm the very ecosystems and marine life they are supposed to protect. These activities can include fishing. You can help ensure that such areas are not just paper sanctuaries and ensure that these national treasures protect the marine ecosystem for future generations as intended.

Click the link below to take action

https://secure2.convio.net/toc/site/Advocacy?id=199

SeaTreasures

Deep Sea Corals

Quoted from www.oceana.org

"Deep sea coral gardens grow in the deepest reaches of the sea. Many have been slowly, quietly growing there for hundreds of years. They provide crucial habitat for more than 2,000 species of marine life.
The practice of "bottom trawling" -- where fishing vessels drag huge weighted nets across the sea floor behind them, demolishing everything in their path -- threatens to destroy these precious resources. In the past two weeks Oceana and partner groups from recreational fishing, science and scuba diving communities have visited nearly a hundred congressional offices in Washington DC asking for their support for deep-sea corals. Those members of Congress want to know what you, their constituents, think.
You can help protect deep sea corals by telling your Representative that you want him or her to include protection for deep sea corals as provided for in the Bottom Trawl and Deep Sea Coral Habitat Act of 2005 (HR 3778) in any new ocean legislation!"

Click link below to help
http://takeaction.oceana.org//campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=2185