finally some progress

jks1

Well, I settled on a 210gal tank for my new SPS/Clam. Placed the order today, will be here in 3 weeks! The tank measures 84 x 24 x 24, with two bottom and top skimming overflows and black back. Im going to run MAG 24's for the closed loops and the return from sump. Ive got an old 75gal glass tank for th sump

I already have the 3 400W pulse start ballasts, sockets, and parabolic reflectors - gonna go with the 10K XM bulbs.

I just got the aqua C EV-180 skimmer in on Friday

Got a Marine Life Aquatics CR-500 calcium reactor w/ 20lb Co2 and electronic regulator last week as well off ebay.

Also have the 1/4 horse aquanetics chiller.

Am I missing anything? Also still struggling with the substrate. I like the look of sand and am thinking of a 1-1.5" thin layer of southdown, but after my phos issues with my other tank not sure if thats the right way to go.

I start building the stand and canopy this weekend. Ill post pics..

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
John congrats on the new tank. I would go with the 1-2" sandbed and you will be fine. The whole trick to that is good husbandry and siphon it every couple of weeks or once a month to get rid of the junk in it.:)

addict

Sounds great there man... :cool:

I'm going with a 1.5" sandbed (with shell fragments) in my new 120g, and plan on getting plenty of sand-stirring critters for it (pistol shrimp, etc.) to keep it stirred up pretty well.
I have a buddy with a DSB and an engineer goby and his sand is pure white top to bottom due to that darn fish moving the whole thing around on a weekly basis. :D

wooddood

the wood dude
sounds like you have the bases coverd pretty well john,gonna be an awesome tank so keep us posted.im moving my 120 next week and want to get rid of my dsb.it's about 5 inches now.i think im gonna go with a thin layer of crushed coral and thats it.good luck.

Brucey

Hey John. Just to say congrats on the new order. I have a 84x24x18 and they're just GREAT. I love sitting right in the middle and looking left for 3 feet and then right for 3 feet .... It's fun, small things and small minds eh.

Hey Wood, good luck with the DSB removal. I've been telling you guys for years 1/2" is more than enough just for the asthetics ....:D :D :D . Just keep an eye on your nitrates mate as the DSB will be doing loads of that and your going to lose it all at once. Good luck matey
Brucey

DuhJeepster

Congrats John!!!

Let me know if I can be of any help to you at all - moving stuff around, setting things up or whatever. I'm a pretty good manual laborer.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Originally posted by jks1
Am I missing anything? Also still struggling with the substrate. I like the look of sand and am thinking of a 1-1.5" thin layer of southdown

I feel your pain. I'm getting a new tank tomorrow to replace the one I have that is leaking and just don't know what to do for substrate. I need to make my mind up in 2 days:confused:

BTW congrats on the 210 that is going to be a lot of fun to set up:)

reefshadow

Wow, I'm jealous. Great dimensions on that tank.

That should be alot of fun for you to set up.

I wouldn't worry about that little sand, as long as it's maintained regularily.

I want pics, too! :)