Filtration Question

Nucem

Just Ordered 100gal flat back hex reef tank. First saltwater reef for me. My first question is what do you all recommend for filtration setup? I know i want approx 100lbs live rock and coral. Pretty sure low to moderate fish load. My LFS are steering me towards LR and skimmer only. I was originaly thinking wet/dry followed by refugium and UV unit. Trying to make my first run at it as easy as possible. Open to suggestions :)

Warnberg

Only thing I use for filtration is a couple of filter socks, both on the overflow returns to the sump. If you are going to do a full reef I would suggest a good skimmer (biggest and best you can afford). You will hear mixed suggestions on the UV sterilizer, I personally do not use one. If you are going to do corals (SPS's and LPS) you will need good lighting. A refugium is a great way to export phosphates that would normally cause algae outbreaks however I believe regular cleanings and water changes will take care of the majority of those issues. I would also suggest a good RO/DI unit to fill your tank with and provide topoff and water for water changes.

Take your time, read read read and patients....

Good Luck and welcome to RS

Is the tank drilled?

If so I would get a sump, not a wet/dry. IMO they suck. In the sump get a decent skimmer like a turboflotor 1000 ($128). Otherwise I recommend getting a larger one but it will cost a lot more (300+). Don't bother with the UV sterilizer, instead spend that money on a better skimmer if you can. I would not recommend 100lbs of live rock in a hex. You will never see anything. Start with 50lbs and then add more until it suits your liking. You'll probably end up with about 75lbs. Realize when you are stacking your rock, you will need to get to all sides of the tank, so don't pile it all up against the glass.

Dragon Wrasse

I second Warnberg's suggestion on the lighting. I have 100 lbs. of live rock and 100 lbs. of live sand in my 75 gal. I run a 15W UV but not 24/7 just every so often. I also have a HOB Refugium that is great for growing Pods.