filter media

Chemi Pure Elite VS Chemi Pure Blue

• Total voters

Lipman

......Chemi Pure Elite VS Chemi Pure Blue......

Currently in my Red Sea Max 250 I have been ruining 2 packs of Chemi Pure Elite and 1 bag of purigen.
I have recently come across this Chemi Pure blue and wanted to see what everyones thoughts where on this.

I have had great success with my CPE but sometimes change is nice too. If anyone has any experience with the two and has any comments that would be a great help.

I was considering possibly running 1 CPE and 1 CPB, thoughts?

Thanks In advance :)

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
I think the chemi-pure blue uses a resin, similar to home water softeners. That said, the resin attracts/targets specific chemicals via ion attraction.

I used to use the Kent brand resins in my aquariums for a long time, and they basically did the same thing that a protien skimmer does. If I were you, I'd stick with the Chemi-Pure Elite. If what you are doing works, keep doing it. Saltwater aquariums are all about consistency.

Jeff

mike1970

Stay with the Cpe and purigen. I change to the cpb it did not work that well the water seemed more clear but it gave me a hair algae break and I only had 3 fish maybe I didn't change it enough.

DaveK

This is one poll I can't vote in because there is not a "none of the above" selection.

The poll has been updated, so my choice is none of the above (added 8/23)

Chemi Pure elite mixes carbon and GFO. Ideally these two media should not be mixed together. First they should get different flow rates. Second the GFO is very hard and can grind up the carbon.

Chemi Pure Blue uses ion exchange resins. In SW with all the various salts in it, ion exchange resins loose any effectiveness very quickly. In fact some other ion exchange resins use salt (just NaCl) water to recharge them.

Save some of your money and get bulk carbon or GFO. Since your running Purigen, you really don't need carbon.

Last edited:

mike1970

This is one pool I can't vote in because there is not a "none of the above" selection.

Chemi Pure elite mixes carbon and GFO. Ideally these two media should not be mixed together. First they should get different flow rates. Second the GFO is very hard and can grind up the carbon.\

Chemi Pure Blue uses ion exchange resins. In SW with all the various salts in it, ion exchange resins loose any effectiveness very quickly. In fact some other ion exchange resins use salt (just NaCl) water to recharge them.

Save some of your money and get bulk carbon or GFO. Since your running Purigen, you really don't need carbon.
Davek not true I'm running GFO and carbon mixed in a BRS reactor and it has been working great a little on the expensive side but it works

dgilbert2

I don't use any :eeknew:

I have a bare bottom, do a weekly water change and have a skimmer. My Nitrate and Phosphate levels are un-detectable using Salifert kits < touch wood > !

DaveK

Davek not true I'm running GFO and carbon mixed in a BRS reactor and it has been working great a little on the expensive side but it works

I'm not saying the products don't work, but they are less than ideal. Yes, I know there are plenty of people out there that use and really like the product. I am saying that you can do better for less money.