filter for 290 gal reeftank

Fishmad

i currently have a mixed tank of fish and corals that is about 95 gal. i have an overflow box on side of tank feeding the sump, it contains filter wool then the skimmer pumps over bioballs & ceramic rings then over a sand bed through base rock then to return pump. i have not experienced any major problems with fish or corals in the past 6 months, but do not like the overflow arrangement. can anyone suggest a better setup for my new tank, im open to all suggestions and like to get it right before i start :bigbounce :bigbounce

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
280 gallons? Cool!! :D I'd say get 1 - 1.5 lbs rock/gallong (rule of thumb) for filtration, a BIG skimmer, and some macro algae for your sump (with lights of course). I would ditch the bioballs and ceramic rings, JMO. If you keep the filter floss, change it it frequently.

mattie

RS Sponsor
what kind of over-flow is it. becouse an over-flow to the sump IMO is the best but is the tank drilled or is it an over-flow box.
but if you have an wet/dry filter most of the time those come with very small protien skimmer's and also have a tendency in a "reef" tank to not be as benficial as just an empty sump w/ an oversized protien skimmer. with the bioballs removing all traces of ammonia and nitrites but producing high amoounts of nitrates which is great for a "fish only" tank but can give problems in a reef tank with corals.

mattie

RS Sponsor
i personally recommend no mechanical filter what so ever.
but i think you should ask a more specific question so you may get an answer which may better fit your needs.
what you want exactly?
or what do you not like about your current set-up?
i believe that if it ain't broke why fix-it

Fishmad

it is an overflow box and relies on being full all the time, no holes are drilled in the tank. is it a better idea to have holes drilled in back or bottom of tank, im thinking in bottom and have overflow feeding two 2inch pipes in the sump & get rid of overflow box. im a bit worried about drilling holes in side of tank,72"longx24"widex36"high,and will find it easier to brace the bottom. i live in australia and have had to convert for u, i think the gallons is correct

Fishmad

mattie, i thought it was the best setup according to my LFS, but have since found this site and very different setups, that seem to work very well. i am reasonably happy with the sump but hate the overflow box . just realisied i had reef tank but it will be community :columbo:

Last edited:

mattie

RS Sponsor
okay, thanks mate, for translating it to gallons for us
i will never have a tank that is not drilled again becouse the HOB over flow box can loose siphon and make a big flood eventhough it is rare with some models.
i personnaly drill in the upper corners and have small box's installed becouse if you drill the bottom the water falls and makes noise but, sometimes you never notice there no real advantage to where the tank is drilled as far as the filter becouse it all requires a little plumbing.
as for what the lfs sold you. is very very good for a certian application. but may not be the very best for what you want.
now it sounds like a very complex wet/dry filter which is good but can require way more maintence down the road and could make things difficult for you down the road.
i would recommend a natural/berlin style of filter.
drill the tank put down a large sump like a 75G aga run either a huge skimmer or 2 that would fit encase there is not enough room height wise to get one that could handle twice the size of the tank you are using like maybe run (2) ASM G-3 skimmers and a powerful return that would give you near 10 times turn over in tank so a 2900 gph pump. and add additional water cirulation in the tank to the requirments of the corals
soft corals do not require to much water current, but stony corals need more water flow like 20X water turnover so 5800 gph water movement in the tank or more
and use quality live rock and quality araganite as our sand bed and that would be your filter.
i think you get the main idea there are many correct ways to get the desired results
there is no right or wrong ways as long as it works

Fishmad

i have been given a approx 75 gal tank that i intend to turn into a sump for the 280 gal, there is just so many ways in which to go, i think i will just stay tuned and see wot is around, thank for yopur help mattie, Karma to you