Fileter sock cleaning advice.

Mperkins92

I just got some filter socks for my fuge the other day an it got clogged up awfully quick. about 3 days and i had to change it. To clean the old one i just turned it inside out and ran water through it. my lfs said i could bleach it if i soak it in water with dechlorinator for awhile before i stick it back in the tank. and input?

DaveK

I just run the filter socks through the washing machine by themselves. No soap or bleach. Then let them air dry. This is a very easy way to clean them.

Bleach is not needed unless there is some sort of disease in the tank, and with no bleach there is one less thing you need to worry about. The FW in the washing machine will kill most stuff on the filter sock.

steved13

PREMIUM
I always run them through the washer with bleach. If your washer has an extra rinse cycle, it's a good idea, or just send them through on a rinse only cycle. Then air dry.

IMO changing filter sock often is a good idea. Whatever goes into the sock, stays in your system until the sock is removed. I use fine socks so it forces me to change them every 2-3 days.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I've been cleaning by hand and I like the washer route. Any concerns with residual detergent left in the washer getting on the socks?

,......im Matt n i support this message

steved13

PREMIUM
I've been cleaning by hand and I like the washer route. Any concerns with residual detergent left in the washer getting on the socks?

If you think it's a concern (depends on the washer) you can do a "rinse only cycle" first.

dmatt88

Anybody else has a wife that doesn't want her washing machine used for this. Amy seems not too happy about the idea

steved13

PREMIUM
She definitely won't like it if you have snails in the sock before it goes in the washer.

dmatt88

She definitely won't like it if you have snails in the sock before it goes in the washer.

Haha. In this tank I've never found snails in the filter. The office tank is another story all together.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
My better half doesn't allow it, at least when she's home :D

Really hates when I use the silverware for tools as well. lol