Fighting Conch

lgerold

Hi! I am considering purchasing a few fighting conchs. I've got a few areas on my DSB that are not getting cleaned or turned over well enough. No Cyano in the tank, no Hair Algae. Just some greenish/rusty colored areas that need to be more regularly turned over.

I don't want to add something that will clean the DSB too much, as a sand sifting star would. I don't want to eliminate too much of the good stuff growing in the sand.

Opinions?

Thanks a lot!

lcstorc

I love my fighting conchs. Since I added them I have had absolutely no problems with algae on the substrate. I have even caught them on the rocks a couple of times. Great cleaners. I would absolutely recommend them
They are also cool to watch. Their eyes are on stalks and they have a big trunk like thing that is really neat.

aquaman3680

I really like the conchs they do a great job! They also get like the bottom of the glass before the sand... The star or goby would also be good choices but most of the gobies are jumpers...

Matt

Devilboy

I love my fighting conchs. Since I added them I have had absolutely no problems with algae on the substrate. I have even caught them on the rocks a couple of times. Great cleaners. I would absolutely recommend them
They are also cool to watch. Their eyes are on stalks and they have a big trunk like thing that is really neat.

Yea i like mine when they are under the sand and all you see is there eye stalks sticking out

lgerold

Wow! Such positive input! I'll give 'em a go.

I do have about 10 tonga nassarius, which I love. And, a bunch of those fake nassarius too. They're little. They love to clean the glass, which the other snails ignore, so that's a good thing.

This friend of mine that helped me upgrade from the 120 to the 210 in January, suggested that I return the sand sifting goby that I did have. He did make quite a mess, and we've had alot less substrate showing up on the fungia's, etc, since I brought him to our LFS. So, I don't think I want another...

How many fighting conchs would you recommend?

Thanks so much!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Fighting Conchs are "da bomb" and I would recommend four for your tank. The problem with the SS Goby is they'll eat the infauna in the DSB and for it to remain functional it would be best to avoid them IMHO.

lgerold

Cheeks, that's exactly what Chad said too!

This is a 6 foot by 2 foot footprint, so I'll start with 6 for now. Sound good?

Thanks for the speedy help!