Fighting Clown Fish

greenley

My two clown fish are fighting. One has white stripes and black on it and the other one just has the white stripes on it. Some times they get along fine and then they start biting each other. I also have a lot of green growing in my tank. It is a small tank nine gallons. I keep scraping the live rock but the green keeps growing. Greenley

reefjitsu

Your tank is too small for them. It also appears that you have two different species of clownfish, which can be a problem in a large aquarium.

Raf

Also, are they about the same size? if so, this may continue until one establishes dominance and becomes the dominant female and subsequently, grows larger.

lcstorc

I would only pay attention to the green on the glass or acrylic. Our tanks go through a cycle and many portions of the cycle will promote one or another type of algae. Keep up with the water changes which will be key to keeping a system this small. I also think you should reconsider one of the clowns partially due to bio-load and partically since they are different types and in that size tank the passive one has a very poor choice of hiding spaces.