Fido's 29

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I leared something new today, XDE 20k bulbs are one in the same as XM 20k DE bulbs, cause thats what they sent me, and printed on the bulb it says XDE250, but came in a XM 250 20k box. The color is a bit too purple for my tase, but its not burnt in yet, since its only run 3 hours so far. I can't wait to see its real color, I also have an oportunity to get Phoenix 14k 250w bulbs through a group order at about $50 a peice, so I'll go look at a locals tank that has them running, and see how I like those. I had some issues with lots of heat radiating into the tank, but I easily fixed that by hanging a fan on either side of the pendant pointing at each other, creating a whirlwind effect, and dispersing the heat.

As far as aclimating corals to the halide, I don't know if I'm doing this the right way, but I have the pendant suspended 10" over the water, and I am running the lights 3 hours a day, then every 4 or so days, I will increase the light cycle another hour, till I get to 8 or 9 hours per day. After I get the cycle to a full time, I may try and lower the pendant another 2" or so, and see how that works with heat and how even the lighting is from side to side.

Craig Manoukian

fidojoe said:
As far as acclimating corals to the halide, I am running the lights 3 hours a day, then every 4 or so days, I will increase the light cycle another hour, till I get to 8 or 9 hours per day. After I get the cycle to a full time, I may try and lower the pendant another 2" or so, and see how that works with heat and how even the lighting is from side to side.

That should be fine!

pipbarr

Fidojoe,

I got the same aquamedic light with the xm 250w de bulb from hellolights. Great light, but I now have to cool my tank because it gets pretty hot. Mine's been running for about a month now, and it has definitely turned less blue after the burn in. The color now looks more crisp white, with just a hint of blue. Actually, I kinda wish it was just a little more blue, but I like the look over my old pc's any day. It sure was a pain to have to replace 4X96 watt pc bulbs on a college budget!

I acclimated everything by keeping the light on for about 9 hours a day, but starting it about 20" above the water, and moving it down a little every few days. Everything did fine, and I'm now starting to see some color change in the corals. My green bubble changed from bright green to a drab olive green in the first few weeks, but has since started to get brighter than before.

Philip

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I hear ya on replacing the 4x96 bulbs on a college budget! I'm don't seem to be having any issues with heat so far, since I attached the 2 fans to hang off the sides of the pendant, and they both blow into the middle just blow the light where the heat source is. I was having more heat issues with the 4x96w on the 50g.

Everything in my tank seems to be showing more color than it ever did before, its amazing!