Female Mandarin

Kirblit

Does anyone have a good pic of a female mandarin?

I have a large male that I have had for 2 years and I want to get a female. I got one that I thought was a female but I have my doubts now. I have it in a QT training it to eat prepared foods and have been watching it and it's got a small spine, about 1/4 longer than the others. I know the males are easy to tell because of the very large dorsal spine, but do females lack the spine completely or is it just smaller. I don't want a fight on my hands as the new one would lose out very bad if it's a male.

I will try to get a pic, the only way it will display at all is if I put a mirror in there, and even then it's much calmer than my male if it sees it reflection.

seafansar

What kind of mandarin? I don't know about targets, but my female psychedelic has no spine. Her fin just curves with no spine sticking out more than others.

Kirblit

What kind of mandarin? I don't know about targets, but my female psychedelic has no spine. Her fin just curves with no spine sticking out more than others.

Psychedelic. That's what I thought too, that's why I didn't feel right when i had to question it at all, I thought it was a start difference between the two.

Any chance anyone has one with the females dorsal erect?

I went digging through my old pics and found this crappy one. maybe it will help.

Attachments

• female mandarin.jpg
    female mandarin.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 31

bcarleton

I can't find a pic of my female, but it is very obvious between the two. If yours has a short spine then I would put a dollar that it is a either a young male or it is male with a bit of damage on the spine from something.

Kirblit

I can't find a pic of my female, but it is very obvious between the two. If yours has a short spine then I would put a dollar that it is a either a young male or it is male with a bit of damage on the spine from something.

I think it's a male that may have been damaged in collection or shipping, but the fin isn't as "banner" like as my other male. My male's spine goes almost down to his tail and it's very big and obvious. I will post some pictures i got tonight of it when it's up a little, but I doubt I will chance putting the two together.