Feeling Real Discouraged...

theplantman

OK will do. Do I need to be feeding Zoas Phytoplankton or do they feed off light?

Zoanthids are photosynthetic and provided they are receiving enough light, will get all their nutrients from the lighting. You should not need to feed them phyto. Target feed your duncan to reduce waste if your not doing that already, after that only worry about the fish. Sounds like your cuc has plenty to work on without supplements. This should help clean up some of the excess nutrients in the water.

3 day blackout period is a good suggestion its helped me in the past. I think we could get a better picture if we knew your water perameters.

Sent from digital watch from future.

lbiminiblue

Im going to print this out and take everyone advise. thanks everyone. I just now say 2 aptasia nems growing, so ordering a few peppermint shrimp to handle them.

Hold up!! Make sure you don't have corals that may be vulnerable to pep's. That's the thing with reefing- it's like each problem you deal with is a circle. Your problem of aiptasia may link, through peppermint shrimp, to the wellbeing of your corals. Remember that every action will result in a reaction. For example, you WILL increase your bioload that much more by adding two more shrimp. Maybe you can take out the aips without getting shrimp? I said it before on another thread- getting another organism to treat a problem may very well work, or it may cause problems in the future as far as compatibility. Anyway, keep your head up!! I'm fighting diatoms too right now, we're here to support you. Don't give up, the result can be awesome if you persevere!!

ChitownRomeo

well the 3 day black out worked. My sand bed looks alot better. I would say its 75% gone now lol. A simple water change and 3 day black out worked. I think you guys was right about my light period. I think those led's are too intense to be on that long. I got some aptasia x cause I had a feeling the Pep Shrimp might do more harm than good. It was really a experience seeing them implode lol. And I officially hate my yellow watchman goby. 2 weeks he was missing so i cancelled the order for a pistol shrimp. today just out the blue he pops up perched up on a rock and smiling at me lol

immerume2

Good to hear on the black out working. Too long of a photo period is very common for people starting out. You want to see your fish lol. Just have them come on later in the day so you can enjoy them later when ur are home from school/work. Good luck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

theplantman

Glad to hear things are turning around for you. Stay on top of your water testing and try to keep your phosphates down. The black out worked because you prevented the algaes from being able to photosynthesize the nutrients in the water into energy. When the lights come back on, if the nutrients are still in the tank for the algaes to feed on they will return. Its a balancing act. Remain patient and monitor your feeding carefully. You may want to look into reef frenzy foods, which are extremely clean when it comes to bleeding phosphates and other nutrients into the water. And remember, you should be feeding your fish no more than they can eat in about 2-3 minutes.

ChitownRomeo

Glad to hear things are turning around for you. Stay on top of your water testing and try to keep your phosphates down. The black out worked because you prevented the algaes from being able to photosynthesize the nutrients in the water into energy. When the lights come back on, if the nutrients are still in the tank for the algaes to feed on they will return. Its a balancing act. Remain patient and monitor your feeding carefully. You may want to look into reef frenzy foods, which are extremely clean when it comes to bleeding phosphates and other nutrients into the water. And remember, you should be feeding your fish no more than they can eat in about 2-3 minutes.

Will do!! Doing a 25% water change now before I go lights back on.