Feeding Sun Coral

KMP

I bought a sun coral last Saturday. The LFS said it was content to come out in the light for daily feedings at 4pm. Since being in my tank it has not fully opened for me to feed it. It was out partially once, and I tried some mysis shrimp to no avail. Now I'm a little worried that I cannot get it to come out and eat. I realize sun corals prefer low light and keep an eye on it regularly while lights are out. Still does not fully come out.

So...any ideas? Also, any recommendations on good food for both the sun coral and chili pepper coral.

Thanks in advance.

Gina

RS STAFF
You can offer the Sun Coral brine shrimp and cyclop-eeze. When I had a sun coral it would go nuts for the cyclop-eeze!
You can cut the bottom off a liter coke bottle and place it over the sun coral and feed that way or what we used to do was to use a pipet, turn off the ph's and target feed each polyp.

Mine would come out any time that they sensed food in the water column.

They perfer to be placed on the bottom of the tank and like a med-strong water flow.

What are you water parameters?

jimeluiz

Mine is most happy to eat about an hour after lights out. Like Gina said, chum up the wtaer a bit to let it know food is out there, then spot feed with cyclop-eeze.

Then watch her smile.

Stalwart

Mine will feed in either day or night situations, but prefers night. I turn everything off and squeeze some cyclopleeze on top of it, it does not take long for it to open. Then I target feed it with a mix of cyclopleeze and diced mysis. I use a syringe to feed mine. Gina's Idea about the Coke bottle is a good idea, because everything in the tank comes running when they sense the food in the water and will try to take it from the Sun.

KMP

well, it looks as if i need to make a trip to the fish store for come cyclopeze. so you just sprinkle some on it and it opens up...that's what i was curious about. i'll give that a try and see what happens. i like the coke bottle idea also. time to get creative.

thanks gang!

lcstorc

I have been told that you need to make sure each of the heads gets some food. Apparently, they do not share.
I love the timing on this thread since I really want one in my pony tank. Hopefully yours will do great and I will have the confidence to get one. LOL
At least in my pony tank it is unlikely to starve. Lots of food there and I already feed a combo of Mysis and Cyclopeze in that tank.

robinscp

I have mine under a large overhang.

I feed the fish with frozen food and the sun coral comes out when it can smell? the food in the water. I then hand feed each polyp with bits of prawn or lance fish.

You would be amazed by the size of the pieces it can take.

It helps that the fish have been fed before hand so they dont steal its food.

Craig

blue_eyes53813

Use The 2 liter bottle method (cut the bottom or top off ). Squirt food in there with a turkey baster and periodically blow the water around under the cap to move the food around that settles on the bottom of the tank. The sun coral will open right up.. sun corals take alot of time and patience... You have to feed them at least 3 times a week.. Here is another thread for ya..

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/new-frontiers/10977-important-sun-coral-question.html

Gina

RS STAFF
One more thing. You don't need to much cyclop-eeze. You'll see after you thaw a small piece just how much there will be! Alot!

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
i used to have one form a friend who couldnt care for his tank for a while.....his house burned down and i took the tank ......i was target feeding feeding it zoplan with a dropper every other/couple of days there were about 3 peices ..it seemed like they got food ..i wish i knew then about the coke bottle..:smirk: they would always come out wish i had gotten some pics

KMP

well, got some cyclopese and got the coral to open up more than it has been. i need that coke bottle though. the fish would zoom over and make the coral duck back in. again, thanks for all the help everybody!

KMP

update: bought a monte cap to shade the sun coral and now it's out on it's own. before it was under a rock outcropping but not as shaded as i thought it should be. now it has all the shade it needs.

latuttle

Hey Kenny, can you post a pic? I absolutely love sun corals, but I'm not sure that I'm as brave as you at this point in my reefing endeavor :) I would love to see a current shot of your tank with the sun coral.