feeding Prazipro to new wrasses

Oxylebius

Yeah, I think I am gonna do the array of meds on the wrasse(s) before they go into DT. Treat as if they are sick, knock out any disease, parasite, bacteria infection etc.

Then cycle through the blenny that has stringy poo and treat it.... not sure about the rest yet. If one fish has intestinal parasites, then it is only a matter of time for the others to catch some. I've had this spread before.

Oxylebius

Wrasses are doing fine in QT about ready for DT.

But, I do have a couple fish in DT with stringy poop. Intestinal parasites right? Since I have been treating fish in QT for several months now, I'm in the "treat the fish for problems mode". Already treated Foxface in QT and now two wrasses in QT.

I will not hunt down and pull fish from DT to treat for parasites, so what options do I have? Are there foods I can feed that will treat for internal parasites in DT (with sps), I can run lots of carbon for the trace amount of meds from the food/poop.

Options? Thoughts?

I could swear I read some where that there is a med you can soak food in to treat fish for internal parasites...

reeferman

just get some praziquantrel [commonly sold for garden pond or koi fish]and soak the food in it before feeding.it wont hurt anything in your reef with the exception of parasites at that concentration.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
You could also use the seachem med with it too, metro plex I think.

Choff

Did I read praziquantel can kill small worms like spaghetti worms and such if you treat the tank and not just spike the food?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Did I read praziquantel can kill small worms like spaghetti worms and such if you treat the tank and not just spike the food?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It would make sense that it could.

reeferman

yes,thats possible but treating the food wouldnt be near the concentration needed to do any real damage

Oxylebius

just get some praziquantrel [commonly sold for garden pond or koi fish]and soak the food in it before feeding.it wont hurt anything in your reef with the exception of parasites at that concentration.
You could also use the seachem med with it too, metro plex I think.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will look into praziquantrel, seachem med, and metro plex. Exactly the suggestions I needed.

yes,thats possible but treating the food wouldnt be near the concentration needed to do any real damage

That is what I was thinking.... treat the food they eat, not the tank. If I only soak the food, then I would expect the concentration would be less in the water column and any carbon I'm running can clear it up. By soaking the food only I would be targeting the parasites internally to the fish.

Praziquantrel kills worms, yes it does, it has been used to treat really bad flatworm infestations.

Thanks all!

Saltyhog

Prazipro is praziquantel. It can be used in the DT. It can kill feather dusters and any worm.

My experience treating the DT was pretty good. For some reason my shrimp became very sluggish during treatment but the fish all did well.

You can not run your skimmer (it would over flow terribly anyway) during treatment. You also can not run a UV sterilizer during treatment. It will not impact the biological filter/bacterial population. You will need to treat twice about a week apart with a big water change between treatments

reeferman

you would want to run the skimmer during treatment,just remove the cup so that the water flows back into sump.you will need the oxygen from skimmer because it can get depleted rather quickly