Feeding mandarim in rsm130

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Great pictures TrueBlue...thank you for sharing them!
mhago, your pictures didn't post. :(
Maybe you should try posting using photobucket as your picture hosting place. It's free and fairly simple to use: http://s1305.photobucket.com ( www.photobucket.com ) I'm not very good at posting links, maybe that will work.
The mysis (a small type of shrimp)is frozen and a dime is about a little larger than an average thumbnail.
I hope you can find some copepods for sale to replenish your tanks supply....that's what Mandarins really need most of for food.

TrueBlue

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

1. Mysis is the frozen shrimp I feed my DT.

2. I break off a piece of frozen prawn roe. It is a frozen food that is very small for those fish with small mouths.

3. I didn't train. I started to feed with the dropper from day one. He has never been afraid of it. He will even stay in place when I tap another fish away from the roe. He will try to bite the end of the dropper as well. Here is a pic of the food.
ydaseta6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhago

Thank youTrublue!!!!! I will look for this food in são Paulo.

And Diana, thank you for the tips o the pictures. I will try to adjust

Thank you all

I will keep everyone postei!

ziggy

So your dropper is a typical small one, and not a large turkey baster?
So your arm is in the water holding the small dropper?

TrueBlue

It's about a 8 inches long. They sale they'll at my LFS go a couple bucks. My arm is in the tank about 8 inches as well. My black scissor tail goby will rub up against my arm while I feed the Mandarin.

ziggy

It's about a 8 inches long. They sale they'll at my LFS go a couple bucks. My arm is in the tank about 8 inches as well. My black scissor tail goby will rub up against my arm while I feed the Mandarin.

how cool is that!!

mhago

Hello all! 1 week report: he seems ok. I think I learnt how to publish videos in youtube. Please let me know what do you think. He is feeding himself from the reef. Today I put more pods but he didnt eat. But he seems to be ok.....I hole so, because I didnt find those frozen foods in brazil....if somebody knows someone who ships....just let me know..Nd please let me know you are able to see the videos...

All the best
[video=youtube_share;NS8YEW8u3TU]http://youtu.be/NS8YEW8u3TU[/video]

LakeLivin

For the pods who end up getting sucked down into the sump and into the sponges will they ever make it back to the display tank on their own with the setup the 500 has? I'm afraid they will just make the sponges their new home and stay there. I suppose I can take the sponge out from time to time and float it in the display tank and see if they will bail out of the sponge and get sucked back into the tank.

I was using socks to catch debris, but decided it was just too much hassle to try and swap them out every other day so I stopped. The last sock I took off had a bunch of pods in it so I attempted to get them out but in the process you end up rinsing all the muck out of the sock along with the pods back into the tank and it makes a big mess as well as returns the waste you tried to remove in the first place.

For those who are raising pods in a DT on RSM S series how are you dealing with the issue? I'm trying to build up a good population before I introduce a mandarin to my tank. I suspect I will still have to add a new batch from time to time and they are not that expensive and they ship from right down the road from me in Florida so I get free 2 day shipping. However, it appears a large number will end up in my sponges in the sump and I'm curious if any or all of them will make ther way to the sump are where the main pump is s they can be returned to the DT.

Speaking of sponges, the pods came shipped to me with some sponges inside the plastic bags for the pods to hide in. Most of them exited the sponges when I dunked them into the tank but a few were stubborn so I had to tear the sponges in half to provide a shorter distance for the pods who seemed to be stuck way in the middle to get out. In the process I dropped one of the sponges and it quickly sank back behind my rocks where I cannot reach it without moving some rocks that I would just as soon not disturb at this point. So my question is should I leave it as a refuge for the pods to use if they want or should I take it out in case it degrades and releases some not so nice chemicals into my tank?

mhago

Hello all, keeping my promise, more than 40 days, and i think he is doing well, what do you think?
The only note: he is only eating live things I have in the reef. He didnt eat anything that I put for him.
Do you think it is possible for him to live well like this? Please let me know what do you think about the video. It seems pretty ok for me. All the best!
[video=youtube_share;9Y30zgMYau4]http://youtu.be/9Y30zgMYau4[/video]