Feeding Frozen Cubes

gussy

When Feeding Frozen Cubes to fishes is it better to thaw the cube and:

(a) Dump the cube in the tank and let the occupants fend for themselves, or
(b) Manual crush the cube into tiny bits with your hand inside the tank so that the particles are all over the tank.

uclacsnerd

disolve it

I have a maroon clown that will grab any big chunk of food and take it straight into his RBTA (which just split!!!!). this means if i dont break it up nobody but the clown and her home gets fed.

so, i disolve a cube or two in some tank water along with DTs and then squirt the resulting stew into the tank with a turkey baster. sometimes i mix in mysis or brine so the soup is different every time. this seems to to work well.

NaCl-H2O

I also dissolve a frozen cube (s) in some tank water and then squirt the melted mush into the tank with my turkey baster. That way you can also “target” feed or at least get it close. I have a purple fire goby that hides on the backside of a rock in a hole so if I don’t squirt some down there so it floats in front of the hole he won’t get any cause it’s gone before he realizes its there.

Maxx

Gina has ya covered well. All foods contain phosphates which are algae fertilizers. You can limit the amount of phosphates entering your tank by soaking it in RO water and straining it through a brineshrimp net. Discard the water the food thawed out in. If you want you can than put it into some tank water or more RO water if you like and then suck it up with a turkey baster for target feeding.

Nick

Cougra

I thaw all my food before feeding to the tank. In addition to getting rid of the nasties, cold food can cause problems with the fish as well. If they pig out and eat a lot of froxen foods, they can get chilled (think icecream headache) and cause possible digestion problems.