Feeding clam

Fishphan

I recently purchased a crocea clam. I was wondering how often to feed the clam and what is the best type of food to feed them. I plan on buying the reef nutrition's live phyto feast but didn't know if this is the best option. -thanks-

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Clams over 3" do not need direct feeding when placed under strong lighting. I would caution you with the use of phyto as it can pollute your tank fast if over used.

Smaller clams do require feeding. However, spraying phyto at them is not going to result in any good. It's best to just add the phyto to the tank and allow the clam to perform it's natural uptake via filtering. A more labor intensive method is to remove the clam to a smaller, feeding vessel, and allowing it to remain their with the phyto in the water for a period of time. The latter method is more of a nurturing method and will require a lot more effort and may be stressful on the clam.

ausreef

jfyi the notion that clams under 3" need feeding is a myth that has been around for a few years,its completely false, and tiny clams together with large ones need no extra food other than what they make from themselves

tommyboynj

I think the probably do fine under just light but once a week I squirt a little bright well marine snow in. Mine growing like a weed, which is why you need to keep an eye on your calc. The suck that stuff up!

SaltyChick

my crocea clam is over 3" and under a lot of light i still feed phyto once a week or so. target close with a syringe. my clam loves it. its like a treat kind of. thats how i think of it anyway.