Feeding Blue Throat Trigger fish

Brucey

Hi guys. Well, I've long been a fan of the blue throat trigger fish over the years and about 6 months ago purchased a male. It never quite seemed right in itself, i.e., very lethargic etc and never ate. Over a period of 6 weeks it wasted away and died, refusing all types of live and frozen offerings. I searched the web, the BB and all other types of reference material but couldn't find anything particular to blue throat triggers.

Anyway, 4 weeks ago I had a male and female imported for me and have religiously spent the last 32 days getting them feeding. And eventually they both have. The female ate after two weeks, without too much trouble, the male ate 4 days ago for the first time and now is accepting everything I give him. It's so heart warming and satisfying. Now they both look so healthy and happy, swimming around as if they own the place. It's put my Emp Angel's nose out of place a little. Hahaha. So, I'm just posting this as a point of reference for anyone else who runs into the same problems.

Week .1.
=======
Male and Female both hiding. Plenty of LR and hiding places. Triggers love to wedge themselves in a crevice and stay there.

Week .2.
=======
Female venturing into open. Male appearing maybe once or twice a day. Normally feed once a day in a fish frenzy which is scaring the new triggers. Feeding 7 or 8 times a day but very small amounts. Feeding one type of each food at a time to try and establish which food they like. Feeding, Mysis, Mussel, Cockle, Brine, Artemia, Shrimp, Plankton. All frozen. On the 3rd day of coming out, the female starts eating a mixture of all above. On the 6th day she's eating everything.

Week .3.
========
Male coming out more, but still ignoring food.

Week .4.
========
Whilst feeding the brine shrimp, notice the male starts to pick at them, but spit them out. Start intensively feeding Brine. 6-7 times a day. After 3 days the male finally eats. 1day short of a month since he arrived. After 6 days he's eating everything. Fantastic news.

Anyway, hope that is of help to someone, someday. So long as they use the search engine correctly :turntable

Brucey

Brucey

Gina, I'll post some pics when I can. Doni, thanks matey . . . . yep, the time spent was so worth the while. They are gorgeous fish and they are staying reef safe at the moment . . . although I don't have crabs or snails since I introduced my birdmouth wrasse. Hee hee.
Take care
Brucey

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Very cool Brucey ! I didn't know it's a challenge to get them to eat prepared foods. Know we need to see some pics :turntable

Brucey, up until last christmas, I kept a clown and a niger trigger in 120 reef and they never bothered the first coral until I introduced a few gorgonians. Then it was a quick goodbye to my two favorites.