Feedback on Solana 34 gallon systems~

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
If you have any experience with the Solana aquarium systems, please post here!

I am thinking about getting a 34 gallon Solana for my bedroom and am wondering how quiet it is and how well the stock skimmer, ATO, etc. perform.

Thanks in advance!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Mike, are you considering getting one also?
They appear to be nice set ups. I just hope they're quiet!

Phreek

Doni, from the few threads I've read about them, there a few problems, that can be fixed with relative ease. First the ATO botttles do not last nearly long enough. Most run out within 24-48 hours, and need to be refilled. The stock skimmer is lacking, and can run loudly if not properly adjusted. They also overheat quiet rapidly if you use the glass top it comes with. Other than that they seem to be solid tanks, good silicone work, very beautiful tank overall. We're you considering the MH version? the T5?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thanks Phreek.

I would not use a glass top and I am leaning towards the MH but the T5's would be nice also....

I wonder if the stock skimmer would do okay if the tank was only lightly stocked with a couple of seahorses?

Phreek

The MH is very unique looking, and not something I would want in my home. For purely aesthetic reasons. The skimmer works decently, just can't hold a candle to the mainstream ones we all know and love. I've seen some people remove the skimmer and others keep it. Both seem to be happy with the results. Also an issue I forgot to mention is the stand. Alot of people complain it is not quality material, and is not extremely sturdy. Looks very nice though lol. All in all I'd say its a very good tank for the price. Especially considering you can purchase the tank, stand, and lights together or seperately.

mps9506

I've been considering. I'd rather get the Elos, but my dog kinda put that out of the budget and I can still get the Solana at wholesale through my distributor.
I'm just so turned off by the all in one tanks, however for the price, I can't get a similar shape custom made. I suspect I would just gut the filtration unit and use my own top off system.

Phreek

Not sure if its something that would interest you Doni, but Fluval just came out with an AMAZING little rimless tank, its called the Fluval Edge..quiet a little center piece. Or there's always ADA to consider, they just came out with a new line as well called DO!Aqua...or the NeoNano from DeepSea Aquatics.

Royalscott

I have a Solana system and as long as you keep the water level up, the skimmer works well and is quiet. I took out the auto fill bottles within the first month as I got tired of filling them. Now I just keep the auto top off area full and I have noticed that the skimmer runs much better that way.

I do not keep the glass top on and have the PC glass pendant but am looking to upgrade to T5s in the future.

Unless they have re designed the stand, mine is very well made and very sturdy.

mps9506

I'm currently looking at an ADA tank as well...

If you are looking for quiet and you can swing it, I really think the Elos is the way to go. It is very very well designed. Entirely different class of product than the Solana or Hagen(Fluval) products.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I have a Solana system and as long as you keep the water level up, the skimmer works well and is quiet. I took out the auto fill bottles within the first month as I got tired of filling them. Now I just keep the auto top off area full and I have noticed that the skimmer runs much better that way.

I do not keep the glass top on and have the PC glass pendant but am looking to upgrade to T5s in the future.

Unless they have re designed the stand, mine is very well made and very sturdy.

Thanks! Good to know!

johnvic

I am a relative newbie and a Solana owner. I can't comment on how loud the skimmer is because it is my first tank, although it does seem loud, but I find that it is a pain to adjust and I have to re-adjust it frequently. Just this week it started producing a lot of micro-bubbles so I have to tweak it again. I am replacing it with a Sapphire. Not only is the ATO inadequate, it gets noisy because the bottles will vibrate when they get low and you also hear the bubble sounds when it is topping off, I replaced it with a real ATO. I also don't use the glass top but use egg crate.

But I like my tank, I like the look and it has been a great tank for me.

mps9506

For you solana owners, is it feasible to drill a hole in the back and use the baffle in there as an overflow, or would that entire structure need to be cut out and replaced with a real overflow?

Royalscott

Just this week it started producing a lot of micro-bubbles so I have to tweak it again.

I recently found out that if you keep the top off chamber full and the middle chamber full, the skimmer works much better and you will not get any of the micro bubbles. I keep the black band at the top by the cup lid so as the water evaporates the cup automatically goes down with the water. When it gets pretty low, I know I need to top off.

zy112

I have a 28 gallon nano cube that I got a killer deal on, but if I had to pick from all the nano set-ups I like the elos. Everything seems to be top notch on them.

Slickcg33

Ive had mine for over a year now.

The ATO:
non existent... its a joke

The skimmer:
The stock skimmer can be efficient but you have to have an ATO that works (throw the stock bottles out as soon as you get the tank, they are completely worthless). The water level needs to stay constant at full in the back chambers and the skimmer cup needs to be adjusted for it, otherwise it doesn't work as well as it could. Working at its best i would give it a "good" rating. The skimmer itself is fairly cheep though, The plastic is easy to break on the sides when cleaning so you need to be careful, superglue solves any mishaps though.

The Pumps:
They are very quite, the only noise you will hear from the tank is the skimmer, which isn't that bad.(for a bedroom you might have to get used to it, im not sure how it compares to others because Ive never heard another skimmer)
The stock skimmer pump broke on me after about 6 months of use. Ive heard others that have lasted a lot longer though.
The main return pump is decent, but for anyone with a reef tank it will need an upgrade or wave makers in the tank.

The back chambers:
Ive found it very difficult to access these for cleaning if the tank is up against a wall. I usually have to stand on a salt bucket to get my hands back there. If you have a MH light that's high enough off the tank the back compartments will start to collect some algae deposits so it needs to be monitored.

The tank itself:
I put a heater in the skimmer compartment at first but there wasn't enough flow for the waters to circulate to the tank, heater would prob have to go in 2nd chamber or in tank.The glass lid creates a lot of heat issues + it creates condensation after a couple days so it doesn't even look good, i wouldn't recommend using it.

Its my only tank, after having it for so long i want an upgrade because its seeming cramped. But that comes with anyone that loves saltwater i think lol.

So after all the negatives, i would say i still love the tank lol(i might be a bit biased however because its my first real sw tank)... you can do a lot with the back chambers and with upgrades if you have the funds, which i am lacking.
It looks really nice set up and even better with Mh lighting imo.

To get to your question, i think it would be a great tank for seahorses