Fed up with salt water

tonester2221

Hi Folks,

I have a 90g salt water tank which I'm considering converting to either an African Cichlid or South American setup. Can I utilize the sand bottom currently in place (thus maintaining some bacteria for cycling) or do I need to perform a complete tear down?

michael_cb_125

I would totally swap it out. Just to be safe. I doent take too long to build up bacteria in a new tank. Plus it will be totally fresh..
~Micahel

wonderloss

The denitrifying bacteria in salt water are not the same as those in fresh water, so there would be no benefit from trying to keep them.

Octoman

If you do SA cichlids, the sand could cause some trouble with maintaining a lower pH. Personally, I would much rather have some kind of gravel over sand with a FW tank because it is much easier to keep clean. I say dump it and start over.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Hi Folks,

I have a 90g salt water tank which I'm considering converting to either an African Cichlid or South American setup. Can I utilize the sand bottom currently in place (thus maintaining some bacteria for cycling) or do I need to perform a complete tear down?

"Considering" is the key word. What can we do to help you have a kinder, cleaner and more healthy saltwater tank?

tonester2221

Thanks for the suggestions!
Between the cyano and the problems keeping sw fish alive it's become a chore rather than something I've come to enjoy...

teresa

Hi Folks,

Welcome to the Cichlid group. I love them and it is so much easier to maintain a cichlid tank then a salt water tank. That is my opinion but Sas will not agree with me I am sure.
When Sas gave me his salt water tank to convert to a Cichlid tank, we threw away the gravel and basically start from scratch. We were lucky because we have a koi pond and we took the gravel from the pond for cycling.

PEMfish

SW bacteria is different from FW. So dump the sand. And theres nasties in there anyway. Also, the darker the sand, the better the colors of your fish will look. Chichlids prefer sand, so medium to dark brown or even black sand will be good. Don't go to fine or you'll vacuum it up. Also, watch out for sharp pebbles. You'll also want a lower kelvin light bulbs. And totally new filtration. A Eheim Pro will do you good.

JoJo

i would think about that heavily before making the change. I did that when we moved into the new house, after 2 months i was so mad with myself, bored with the set up & trying to figure out a way to tell my wife i wanted to buy the equipment to go back to SW.

Please take to heart the offer of help from the RS family, i annoy so many people on this thread but they keep advising me on what to do. i would hate for you to go through what i did.

ReefGuy69

Dont go... this hobby has its ups and downs. Take me for example in the last few weeks my tank was full of bryopsis and a bit of green hair algae, a few bits of bubble algae. And i thought i was doing everything right. RO water, weekly water changes, all 75lbs of live rock, plenty of flow, limited feeding, low light cycle, and still algae. i was frustrated. i stepped back for a moment and asked myself if i tore down the tank or put FW in it would i be happy... the answer was no. i want to succeed at this. So i got back to it. Did research asked plenty of questions here and i seem to be back on track. I know i will have more hurdles. I may have one as im typing this (Alk problem) but everyone here will help me through it and they will do the same for you. Sometimes the problems arent fixed overnight, or even in a weeks time, but eventually it all works out. Please just give it one more thought through before you throw in the towel.

DrHank

We all understand your frustration. There are probably many of us that have had the same problems that you are having now. We can also probably help you succeed if you want to. I would take what Jo Jo has said to heart. Don't make a snap decision, give it some real thought.

Do you want to give up because you are frustrated? If so, I suggest regrouping telling us as much as you can about the problems you are having and let us try to help. You might even want to read Melanie's chronicle.

BoomerD

As many readers have already told you, the bacteria in the tank won't be of much help if you switch to freshwater, BUT, if you rinse it well, the sand should be fine to use in an African Cichlid tank. Lots of cichlid keepers used to use fine crushed coral in their tanks as a buffer, pumping up the pH and carbonate hardness for their little beauties...
Definitely check into that further, as the practice MAY have gone by the wayside along with undergravel filters...
Cichlid-Forum ::

SubRosa

Sand can be problematic with some Africans, but is imo essential for keeping others.Large Mbuna and Frontosa for instance can wreak havoc on filters by stirring sand into solution.But keeping stuff like Furcifers and Enantiopus and other mound builders without sand is missing the most interesting part of their behavior.As long as the sand is well cleaned it's fine as far as water quality is concerned.

teresa

We use crushed coral in the sump as a buffer and filter media for our Cichlid tanks. Under gravel filters are fine if not in the display tank as Cichlids are Diggers and might expose the plate.
Best of luck in the change, tonester2221

tonester2221

What type of substrate would you recommend? I'd rather not use crushed coral or gravel specifically made for Rift Lake Cichlids if I can help it. Also, lighting requirements I know will differ from reef or sw. I have 2 strips at the moment with 4 fluoro bulbs total. I'll need to purchase new bulbs so please let me know if I still need to operate 4 or if I can get away with 2 bulbs instead.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Tonster, we used the playsand from hoplessdepot, its absolutely filthy and requires a lot of washing but the end result is a very nice sand, I set up a small UG filter in the sump as a buffer, todate I have NOT added anything an ph is right on, lighting is of very little concern, aquaglow and powerglow are nice colors, algae issues aren't a problem as cichlids are scrapers and will consume it pretty quick, try 2 bulbs and see how you like it.Steve

Aqua Pro

What type of substrate would you recommend? I'd rather not use crushed coral or gravel specifically made for Rift Lake Cichlids if I can help it. Also, lighting requirements I know will differ from reef or sw. I have 2 strips at the moment with 4 fluoro bulbs total. I'll need to purchase new bulbs so please let me know if I still need to operate 4 or if I can get away with 2 bulbs instead.

The fish do not need light to survive. They only need very little to see their food. In a fish only tank, light is for you to see them, so chose just the right amount and color that suit your taste. Fish cannot see in red light, so you may also consider a RED spy light(so that you can spy what kind of fun they have at night) instead of the blue or white moonlight.

jnohs

i have been cycling a new 55g reef for 3 months now and still the water is still bright green. but i love it the is my third tank i have 2 others that i will soon be transplanting in to the 55. but i never had this much problems cycling my previous tanks. and this is getting rideclouse.

my point is that i love it though. once i finally get this water clear and slowly move my inhabitants in to it. I will be very happy but it will only of been funny in hindsight. things are never eas. thats what i find funny. my girlfriend said the other day to me" How much money did you waste on that?!" i told her to leave me alone and that i am alloud to mess up once and a while. it is a hobby and it does cost moneny and it will not allways be fun or easy but when i see the crazy life and my blenny people watches and my mushrooms spead or my gsp grow like weeds. I fingd that it is very pleasing.

oh and lets not forget if i get rid of my tanks then i will have no reason to come here and post any more. thats not cool. i like blogging about my tanks aimlesly and constantly.