Feather Duster worms

newsalt

I have these white, spiral things that don't move, but are attached to the sides and back of my tank. I have them on the front glass too, but I scrape them off. From some searches I did here and other forums, they seem to be feather duster worms and seem to be good and a sign of a maturing tank. Do they ever disappear?

Thanks

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Yes they will disappear, you are just having a little population explosion. They are Spirorbid worms

littspir.jpg

Cougra

Boomer how do you get them to disappear? I've had them for over 4 years now and they don't show any signs of leaving and if I leave my tank for a week they will will start growing on the front glass. I've even tried scrapping most of the off the glass to see if that would reduce the population and it only seemed to make room for another population bloom.

Brucey

Originally posted by Cougra
Nope! They are a constant nuisance in a healthy tank just like coralline algae!

Hi Michelle . . . . I love my coraline, the only place I won't let it settle is on the front glass but I have sheets of it hanging off the back. Very very pretty
Brucey

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Michelle .

Boomer how do you get them to disappear?

Usually better filtration/skimming, as they are filter feeders. Such populations are almost always from to much particulate matter in the water column. Same can be said for others, such as very high populations of copepods. Sometimes it is not such an easy task :(

Cougra

LOL Brucy. I have sheets of coraline growing everywhere as well but I only have one colour, pink, and I'm really getting tired of looking at a pink tank! I've lost the battle for my back glass, side glass and equipment to the coraline.

Boomer:
I am hesitant to change much in my tank since my tank looks healthy, my zo's are spreading and cully extended and my fish are looking healthy. I guess that means that I'll just have to live with the little feather dusters.