Feather Duster Shrinking - Why?

Jster

Hi Everyone!
My husband and I are newbies to this site and find its FANTASTIC. We've been reading books like crazy but never can seem to find the info we need. This site is just what we're looking for.
We have a 37 gal tank with 50lbs rock, 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 toadstool, 1 soft coral (don't know the name) but it resembles an anenome that the clown fish are suppose to go into - but our two clown fish won't go in and play. We've got 3 hermits and 9 snails, 1 red skooter blenny, 1 azure demoiselle, 1 small red coral staghorn looking and a few purple mushroom looking polyps. We also know that we have a bristleworm which must have been a stow-away in the rock because we didn't buy him. Our tank is about 6 months old and has been doing great no problems - well until now.
Over that last two months we have noticed our Feather Duster's tube is shrinking. He has never lost it's feathers, still comes out all the time and has a full plume. Anyone know why it's tube is shrinking? I'm afraid it's going to shrink away and soon there won't be any tube for feather duster to live in. Any info or suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Got pics?

Feather dusters build their tubes from slime and sand. What type of substrate do you have?