Feather Duster Lost it Feather and!

BBHuey

About 3 weeks ago purchased Feather Duster, 5-6" long and 3/4" diameter from LFS. Worked well in my up and coming reef tank. 3 days ago the feather fell off! Now there seems to be a worm type that has come out of the tube as if looking for a new home! Your comments, thoughts and ideas would be welcome.

54G corner tank, with 175 W halogen on top, great results with Nitrates and everything, sump below, lots of live rock and few corals.
4 clowns, 1 coral beauty 3-4', 1 ea fire shrimp, 1 goby and 1 damsel.
System has been up and running for 3 months and doing great. Do 100% distilled water.

Bob

Stalwart

From what I understand, the feather dusters will "Pop their Tops" in defense, but they grow back.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Duster usually pop their top and leave their tubes only when something is really wrong, like water chemistry. It is called "I want to escape and get out of here, I do not like it here ". In 30 + years I have never seen one build a new tube after it has popped its top or even if it has not popped its top ==> dead .

Popping its top and staying in the tube is another issue. It is usually an adjustment to different set of environmental conditions it feels it can adjust to.. Still, a bad sign something is wrong with the water/food supply. It usually produces a more dense tube to gather food better, as it is not getting enough.

You problem was probably over stressing it when you put it in by not acclimating it right or the water chemistry was to far off from where he was, LFS

lcstorc

Welcome to RS! As you can see lots of friendly helpful people here.
Hope everything is ok w/the duster. I've never had any problems with mine so unfortunately have no suggestions to add.