Favia Prop

jaybroreef

HELLO ALL! I WILL HAVE A CAMERA SOON, SO A PICTURE WOULD SURELY HELP, ILL GET ON THAT.....MY QUESTION IS, I HAVE A BEAUTIFUL RED AND GREEN FAVIA THAT IVE HAD FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS, AND I WISH TO FRAG IT, AND SHARE THIS WONDERFUL ANIMAL. IVE BEEN IN THE HOBBY FOR ABOUT 14YRS., AND HAVE FRAGGED MY SHARE OF ZOAS, LEATHERS SHROOMS,ETC, BUT NEVER A FAVIA, IM A LITTLE NERVOUS IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. THE CORAL IS SPECIAL TO ME. ITS ABOUT 6 INCHES BY 5 INCHES. I PLAN ON DOING THIS AFTER ITS ACHIEVED A LITTLE MORE GROWTH. I JUST NEED TO HEAR SOME FIRST HAND EXPERIENCES, OR SOME GOOD ADVICE! I PUT UP A THREAD A FEW DAYS AGO ON A DIFFERENT SITE( RHYMES WITH BEEF LENTRAL) ANY FEED BACK WOULD BE APPRECIATED GRATEFULLY!!!!!!:stars: :ignore:

seafansar

I used a dremel tool and flathead screwdriver with good results. I just dremeled the back of the coral (rock/old skeleton) and then wedged the screwdriver in the cut and gentle hit it with a hammer to break the rest. It was pretty easy and didn't seem to hurt the tissue much either. Just make sure when you break it all the way, that it has something soft to land on!

+1
That's how we just fragged our acans too. Try to plan your coarse to allow a mouth on each head though. That is probably the trickiest part, cutting from the back is a bit blind. Make sure you do it out of tank and wear eye protection!

lcstorc

I just saw a video of it being done. I think it was Eric Bournman. I'll see if I can find it. He fragged a bunch of stuff but I am almost positive favia was one that he did.