Factors affecting algae growth

Brucey

Hi Chaps . . . . . I've got a problem. I've advised so many people on tackling algae problems etc etc and have never had them myself (well, apart from the initial cycle) . . . and now I'm being struck with them myself.

I'm getting cyno growing on the rocks and Bryopsis growing in all the nooks and crannies the tangs can't get at. Not only is this upsetting the aestetics of the tank, but it's growing inside some of my corals and also driving my PH down at night . . . . . . and I can't get rid of it. I'm running out of idea's and would appreciate any thoughts you guys have.

Water Params are
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 7
measurable Phosphates 0 (And I run Rowaphos which has been replaced)
Calcium 480
Alk 2.5mgl
PH 7.9 AM to 8.3 PM
Lighting is 12 hours a day under 3x250W MH and actinics
I'm dosing Kalk to replace all evaportaion (approx 7Litres a day)
Redox approx 320-360
Feed lightly once a day and skim very heavily (and wet)
I stir up the shallow sand bed every day to remove detritus
Circulation is 18,000Litres an hour in 710Litres tank (Approx 22xflow)
35% water change once a month

Anyone got an thoughts, I'd really appreciate them
Thanks in advance
Brucey

ReefLady

Staff member
How long have you been stirring the sandbed for? Have you taken a PO4 reading from the sandbed?

Brucey

Sorry Trav . . . . missed your reply . . . posted at the same time. Ever since I put it in. To cut a long story short I bought a Bird Mouth Wrasse, that ate all my crabs and snails. Nice fish though . . . .:). The sand bed is very course sand that is only approx 2/8inch deep. It's just there to make the bottom look nicer . . . I tried the BB approach but never like the appearance it gave.
No, I have not taken a phosphate reading from the SB
Brucey

mps9506

Brucey,
I think you diagnosed your own problem. Get the wrasse out, put in an army of astrea snails to attack that stuff. I think your problem will go away, imo.
Also make sure your flow is good in those areas to prevent detrius from building up in the bryopsis and nooks and crannies.
You have a great tank and great husbandry, I think your lack of clean up crew is the only thing going wrong here...