Exploding Starfish?

tbittner

I'm actually posting this for a friend from work...

Does anyone know what could have caused this to happen to my sand sifter. I have had her for about 6 months. She seemed to be acting a little strange the past two weeks. She was still moving around the tank but not burying her self as deep as usual or at all. On Friday night when I went to bed she was fine, I woke up to here looking like something had blown her up. I got as good a picture as I could.

starfish.jpg

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Strange! It looks like something tried to eat it for breakfast! Any wrasses in the tank? How were the water parameters? Were there any sudden changes in pH, temperature or salinity?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
:hallo:Welcome Fireshrimp! Glad you could join us! Another Virginian! Woo Hoo! Sorry about the star.:cry1: They are just so darn sensitive.

tbittner

To give a little history, if I may...

She had a mantis. The LFS recommended soaking it's home (a large LR) in very high salinity water, which they mixed up for her. It seems to have taken care of it. (now bob, don't cry TOO much over this). Anyway, the rock is now back in the tank. Could it have caused a mini cycle? Or could the rock have had enough salt collected in it to cause a small, but instant jump in salinity?

I'm afraid I'm not much help because I'm not familiar with sand sifter starfish to this level. I have three of them in my 120 and so far so good. They are getting very fat though! Which tells me I'm feeding too much. :D

tbittner

Sorry fireshrimp, but they can help a LOT more if we are honest with whats going on in our tanks. :)

dobejazz

a salinity jump would make it expolde???

This is some info borrowed from TDWyatt on another site

One of the features that distinguish echinoderms from all other animals is the presence of the ambulacral system, a relatively high-pressure hydraulic system that is used to power Asteroidea body movements. This hydrovascular system is a set of vascular vessels that use body fluids and seawater to extend and contract their tube feet. Tube feet are extensions of the final branches of this hydrovascular system. Although is was long thought that the tube feet used the hydrovascular system to produce suction that allowed the tube feet to “grab” the substrate, etc., it is now known that the base of the tube feet use a 2 substance system of adhesive/adhesive-resolver to literally “glue” the tube feet to the objects they come in contact with and unglue them to release them.

The presence of the hydrovascular system is probably one of the major limitations for keeping Asteroidea in the home aquarium. The ambulacral system is made up of many membranes and delicate tissues that simply do not respond well to repeated challenges by fluctuations in the salinity of the environment. If the changes are abrupt enough, the tissues/membranes will respond by rupturing due to the osmotic gradient across these membranes. Most echinoderms simply cannot tolerate fluctuations in the salinity of the water column. Echinoderms are some of the oldest living extant spp. of marine creatures, and have over millions of years adapted to living in fully marine (as opposed to estuary or brackish or freshwater) conditions, with the salinity at 35 to 36 PPT (1.026 S.G.at 84° F). Water does not enter the water vascular system passively; rather, it is actively pumped into the hydrovascular system through an as yet incompletely understood metabolic pathway. Fluctuations in salinity of the water column result in ruptures in the membranes of the hydrovascular system. This often leads to the ultimate death or at least the “explosion” of the sea star. This demise often occurs over several days to weeks, with pieces of flesh falling off the main body mass after the damage to the ambulacral system has occurred. See blinkia for some pictures of the effects of salinity swings and poor acclimatization methodology on Linckia levegata. Some times the remaining rays will re-grow the central disk, so it is possible to maintain the pieces to recover and re-grow full bodies if there are few scavengers… most often though the sea star never recovers.

In addition to the possible assault on the hydrovascular system, Linckias have another target of salinity weaknesses. The aboral surface of stars is often covered with small, delicate, filmy projections of the main body cavity of the creature through holes in the body wall. These are the dermal gills, considered to be the primary site of gas exchange. These projections are filled with fluid from the body cavity, which is circulated through the structures by cilia. These dermal gills are also subject to osmotic rupture and damage during periods of salinity fluctuation. Consequently, although sea stars can survive a wide number of environmental challenges, from poor water quality to temperature fluctuations, they simply cannot tolerate fluctuations of salinity. Handling these creatures may damage these dermal gills as well, so the physical manipulation and relocation of these creatures should be discouraged.

fireshrimp

Wow, Thanks for all the info. :) The salinity was a little high 0.126 for a day, but I got that down to 0.125 and ph was good. I checked all the other levels and everything was normal. If I did have a mini cycle I totally missed it. :smck: I have been keeping an eye on everything else in there and they seem to be acting normal. I have done one water change since the rock was soaked and am doing another one this weekend. Hopefully all is good now and I don't loose anything else. Thanks again for all the info and for welcoming me to the group! :hallo: