EuroReef RS80 Skimmer ?

forestal

Hi all...
I got this skimmer as an auction win at MACNA last year and decided to try it out as my old was has been out of commision , for a while, and since i don't have much of a sand bed, don't want to go skimmer less

i have it in the sump and its pulled out maybe a cup and a half of stuff in 2 weeks... i tried adjusting the air intake to almost none to full and i don't seem to see any difference...

I have searched a lot, only other thing, is could it be the water level in the sump?

any thoughts?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Dan, no where on their site does it mention the sump height, if too deep no reaction time, if too shallow too much work for the pump, thats the main reason I dont like single pump skimmers

forestal

well i lifted it an inch or so in the sump and played around with air intake on full and am now getting a cupfull (about 8 oz) per week....is thick nasty stuff, but is this still too little?
I added stronger lighting to my sump and actually am now getting foam/cyano clumps on top of the macro algae, seems like an in-fuge skimmer of sorts too

Jake

I have this same skimmer. It was recommended by my two top stores in this area. Quality of the skimmer seems excellent. I was also surprised that there is basically no instructions for adjusting to optimal. I called the factory and they were very helpful. Here is what I remember, leave the air full open, adjust the stand pipe up (wetter skimate) or down (less skimate). As far as height they recommend 5-7 inches of water in the base of the skimmer. I keep 10" water in my sump so I needed to build a stand for it to sit on. Good luck with it.