Euro bracing my new tank?

ChrisOaty

Hi all. I have a new tank that I have big plans for. I've drilled the tank for two 3/4" bulkheads for a center/rear overflow but I will be adding a custom internal overflow. My problem is that the center glass brace makes it extremely hard to work with in this location and from what I've read is not the best for light penetration down the center of the tank. Ive been able to find a couple sources that say eurobracing is often a suitable replacement for a cracked center brace, although I've not been able to find any kind of guide or step-by-step. It seems pretty simple to me, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot. Aesthetically I think eurobracing looks a lot neater, will provide better light penetration, and allow me much better access when building/installing my overflow. Can anybody offer input/advice/suggestions?

DaveK

If you have a glass center brace, and it's not broken or anything, just leave it alone. Eurobraceing has it' own set of problems, especially with access to the tank.

Unless you know exactly what you are doing, it's very easy to cause a major problem and have the tank fail.

ChrisOaty

The biggest reason I ask is because this tank was given to me by a friend who just had to get rid of it as it was taking up room in his garage and it has the exact same form factor as my current 60gal. It's slightly older and besides it being dirty, is in good condition. These tanks are common and fairly cheap so I wanted to try my hand at modifying it. Not that this tank is expendable, but there wouldn't be any catastrophic repercussions if I were to make a booboo. Experience has to begin somewhere.

DaveK

This is why I do not generally recommend modifying tanks, except for drilling them to accommodate overflows and the like.

"but there wouldn't be any catastrophic repercussions if I were to make a booboo", well yes, there might be. For example, you make your mods, fill it, stock it, and a few months later it breaks, sending all the water, rocks, and livestock on to the floor.

Manufactured tanks are designed to work with all their parts intact. If you start messing with the design, and you don't have the background to know what your doing, you are likely to have a few disasters along the way.

In you case, you are asking about removing a center brace. It is there for a reason, and replacing it with something else, in this case eurobraceing, is asking for trouble.