Eshopps PF Nano Overflow Review

livebait

During the months of May and June I was taken on a pretty exciting ride after contacting the design department at Eshopps. I was in need of a HOB overflow for my 10 gallon mantis tank which cannot be drilled and the DIY PVC overflow I had built was failing on a weekly basis if it weren't kept totally cleaned.
A larger HOB overflow would be to bulky and unsightly for a nano sized tank. Internet searches only turned up one company out of CO that builds small units but the $130.00 price tag was more than I was willing to spend. So I sent Eshopps an email, got asked to provide my input and ideas in to the project and made a good friend in Louie along the way.
This is the overflow that we came up with. It is identical to it's larger counterparts only in a slim, sleek design. At 4.5"X2"X8" it's a perfect fit for anyone wanting to add the benefit of a sump/fuge to their nano tank that cannot be drilled.
This is the proto-type that Louie brought to me when we met at MACNA2010.
dscn0057.jpg

Included in the box are the skimmer box, overflow box w/ 3/4" slip/slip bulkhead and a 3/4" id UTube. The skimmer box height is adjustable with a nylon wingnut and bolt, just like the larger models.
The only change I would make after getting it set up is the depth of the bend where it hangs on the tank. It is too wide there to let it hang on my rimless tank properly and you'll notice that I've temporarily used a chunk of 2X4 until I can figure something else out.
The following pics show the dimensions of the boxes. Sorry I forgot to get one of the width of the overflow box. But it is only 2.5" thick. 3" between wall and tank are all that is needed for working room.
DSCN0288.jpg

DSCN0290.jpg

DSCN0292.jpg

Eshopps rate this overflow to handle up to 200 GPH. I think that was a pretty moderate figure. My return pump is an Odyssea 500 gph. I'm not sure of the exact flow in the tank after headloss but it is nearly a straight 2' 8" line from return to pump. The throttle on the pump is wide open and this overflow is handling the job flawlessly and doing it quietly.
DSCN0296.jpg

[YOUTUBE]tDE8wovtY2I[/YOUTUBE]

livebait

Thanks for the review! I plan on using this model on my new 26g tank.

Do it. You won't be disappointed. One thing I've noticed is that the sites that offer this for sale list the Utube as 1" ID. Mine is 3/4" ID and if I recall correctly Louie had said that they all will be due to the limited space in the overflow box.

Uslanja

Hi livebait! Way to go! We had been looking for the same thing as you and found the same custom company in CO as well. Didn't like the price for that and had been ready to make our own. We use and trust Eshopps products so we are excited to see what you have made happen! Way to go!!!!

livebait

Thanks for the heads up. So it will come with the 3/4" U tube?

That is something I can't answer. I got the proto-type and the space between the baffle and side of the overflow box was to tight for a 1" tube. I'm not sure that Eshopps changed the bulkhead placement or if they decided to just go with the 3/4" tubes. I'll shoot Louie an email and try to get an answer for you today.

livebait

Hi livebait! Way to go! We had been looking for the same thing as you and found the same custom company in CO as well. Didn't like the price for that and had been ready to make our own. We use and trust Eshopps products so we are excited to see what you have made happen! Way to go!!!!

I have two other SW set ups that couldn't be drilled and they use PF-300's. I love Eshopps and hate that alot of hobbyists give them a bad rap. I have a PSK-100h skimmer on my 46 gallon reef set up. It out performed and replaced a RO 1000HOB. It's ran 24/7 for 5 months now without a hitch. Glad to see another friend of Eshopps and you won't be disappointed with the little nano overflow box.

redsea reefer

That is something I can't answer. I got the proto-type and the space between the baffle and side of the overflow box was to tight for a 1" tube. I'm not sure that Eshopps changed the bulkhead placement or if they decided to just go with the 3/4" tubes. I'll shoot Louie an email and try to get an answer for you today.

Hey Thanks, I appreciate that!