Eric Borneman is leaving the hobby!!

mopecula

Not to minimize his feelings or pain but something about this situation doesn't make sense. who would do something like this and for what reason? something smells fishy here.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Does any crime really make sense? Not to me... I'm not sure what you're insinuating but IMO, this is neither the time nor place to question this tragedy.

mopecula

Just saying whats on my mind, thats all. Can't quite picture the type of person that would do something like this. I mean you have to be one really messed up person to attack a helpless reef tank.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Agreed... read the news papers :( many helpless people/children get attacked/raped/murdered daily.... There are some sick wackos out there!

boozeman

Wow...how large was this tank if it required 350 gal of salt to bring the salinity up? If so, wouldnt putting that much fresh water in taken hrs or maybee an entire day to flush and where did the sea water it replaced go?
Im sure the person responsible will be caught...no one breaks into a home, spends that much time there replacing the water, and leave without a trace.

SoliSteve

Very large to say the least! He will be attending and speaking at MACNA XVIII so all we can hope is that with the support of his wife and the reef clubs, organizations and the MACNA experience, he will continue his quest to help us all with our continued education.

billyr98

SoliSteve said:
Very large to say the least! He will be attending and speaking at MACNA XVIII so all we can hope is that with the support of his wife and the reef clubs, organizations and the MACNA experience, he will continue his quest to help us all with our continued education.

Thats great news, I can't wait to hear him speak in person, this Macna trip is going to be a blast!

Gina

RS STAFF
I agree! Very good speaker, makes it interesting and fun and has no problem answering questions!
Saw him a couple of years ago here in Maryland.

reefjitsu

I am sure glad to hear he is staying in the hobby.

What a strange way for somone to sabotage a tank! There are so many easier ways to kill a tank. It would take a devious mind to take the time and risk of capture to do that. It sounds to me like an equipment failure, maybe an auto water top-off gone crazy, but then there would be water everywhere. Eric is a bright guy so I assume he has already ruled that out, but it just seems so strange that someone would go to such lengths. I hope he finds out who it was, because that person is dangerous. I have to believe that a person who would do something of that nature, could potentially do something worse.

billyr98

I thought it wasn't sabotaged and it had to do with rain water mixing into his shed with his sump and fuge or something like that...

Stalwart

I am new to the hobby, 3 weeks, but the one name that has popped up more than any other is Eric's. From what I have read and heard he has given more to the hobby than any other. I am waiting on one of his books as we speak. I can not fully fathom what he must be feeling at this time, as I only have a small investment in my tank, but to loose a lifetime of work must be devastating.

My condolences to Eric and his family.