erectus seahorse breeding

vermontseahorse

I am wondering if there is anything I can do to encourage my seahorses to mate? I have three pairs in two seperate fifty gallon tanks. Any tips or advice is appreciated.

panmanmatt

How long have you had them? Captive or wild caught? What are you feeding them? What are your water parameters?

3 pairs in each 50 gallon or 3 pairs between the 2 tanks?

Sorry for a the questions but gonna need a little more info to try and help.

vermontseahorse

one fifty gallon tank has one pair and the other has two pairs. I got them four months ago when they were estimated to be four months old. They are captive bred (fifth generation). I feed them mainly frozen mysis shrimp supplemented with live brine shrimp a couple of times a week. They eat heartily and are quite active as well. Both tanks are 19 inches tall.

panmanmatt

You may just have some late bloomers. By estimation they are only 8 months old so give them some time. Seahorses generally don't reach sexual maturity until 3-6 months of age, some can take even longer. They are still young yet. They will breed when they are ready.

I have read that giving the ponies a Variety of habitat types can encourage them to breed. By this I mean like an area with grass, an area with rocks and caves, etc. The idea behind this is that they'll be able to choose the environment that they're happy with, and when they're happy with their environment, they're likely to mate. Good luck!