Equipment list for 120 gallon reef input welvome

ramora

Here is my equipment list 120 gallon sc aquarium drilled with synergy reef shadow overflow lighting 300 watt maxspect razor x with hanging kit synergy reef ts 34 Triton method refugium sump 16inches synergy overflow v3 spec 40 gate valve and fittings synergy reef 5 gallon auto top off bubble magus curve 7 elite with since sk600 protein skimmer 2 300 watt fluval e series heaters e flux dc loop flow 3170gph auto aquasmart awc duo auto water change plus ato 2 4k gyre flow pumps thinking large montipora capricornis plus lps corals

DaveK

What you plan sounds good to me. If I were building my own system, it would be similar. I might use a few different brands though.

Only thing I would consider changing is the heaters. you have a lot more than you need. It only takes about 2w per gal of water to haet a take under normal conditions. One heater should do just fine. I'd also recommend using a temperature controller along with the heater. The thermostats in aquarium heaters are not that reliable. I hapen to be using an Inkbird controller, but there are other ones out there. One additional advantage of a temperature controller is that some of them can also control a chiller along with the heater. Something to consider if you ever think you'll want a chiller.

ramora

What you plan sounds good to me. If I were building my own system, it would be similar. I might use a few different brands though.

Only thing I would consider changing is the heaters. you have a lot more than you need. It only takes about 2w per gal of water to haet a take under normal conditions. One heater should do just fine. I'd also recommend using a temperature controller along with the heater. The thermostats in aquarium heaters are not that reliable. I hapen to be using an Inkbird controller, but there are other ones out there. One additional advantage of a temperature controller is that some of them can also control a chiller along with the heater. Something to consider if you ever think you'll want a chiller.
What wattage heater would you recommend

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
3w per gallon is good and I’d run a back up with a controller