Equipment for 36 gallon bowfront aquairum

ReefRage

Appropriate Equipment/other information

I'm just starting out with getting a tank all set up and so I can start the cycle process and getting a awesome CUC. I have a 36 gallon bowfront tank. Currently in the process of purchasing everything I need for the tank. Once everything is bought it will be to start the cycle process. My wish is to start small and get a great understanding of how this process works and then work to a bigger tank. the plan is to start with some general easy coral/plants, Minor fish that are easy and look awesome, and then get a amazing CUC.

I have two beginner questions to ask. Need to help and recommendations.

I bought the tank today and it came with some random filters, heater, and light. I would like to see if this would be the correct equipment or I should I look at upgrading. Possibly will still upgrade, but want to get help :)

Heater - All-Glass Aquarium 100W (Model #AGA100)

Filter - Aqueon QuietFlow 30 Power Filter

Lights - All-Glass Aquarium 24" Fluorescent Aquarium Reflector Light

Please don't be afraid to give me lots of recommendations and your thoughts of this.

Last edited:

reefer gladness

What are you wanting to keep in the tank? I'm guessing this was purchased as a freshwater setup?

Knowing what you plan to keep in the tank will help us figure out what you do and don't need.

ReefRage

Well that might have been super helpful for everyone lol.

I'm looking to do a hybrid style tank. I want a few fish and some plants/coral.

DaveK

What you have is your basic FW basic aquarium set up. As you have no doubt seen, reef systems do things quite a but differently. Over time, expect to replace most of the equipment you have now, but you need not be an any sort of super rush to do that.

ReefRage

What you have is your basic FW basic aquarium set up. As you have no doubt seen, reef systems do things quite a but differently. Over time, expect to replace most of the equipment you have now, but you need not be an any sort of super rush to do that.

Dave - Thanks for the great information. :bouncer::geekin: It's true things are different, and every tank is something different. That is what makes this so wonderful. I have been getting lots of help from friends and awesome new friends on here. The one thing I know is take things slow. But I feel that you need a great tank/equipment to make such a great saltwater experience.

My main hope is to get advice on what others are using and how they feel about it. Such as a heater, lights, and filter.

ReefRage

I do have a question for everyone or anyone who wants to help me. What has been everyones way of keeping track of there information (fish, changing dates, data, etc.)? Are you keeping some sort of book, journal, even a spreadsheet? I was thinking of making a spreadsheet on excel to write all my date and information down. Plus to keep a log on things.

tank stalker

Re: Appropriate Equipment/other information

I keep a journal one for each tank with all livestock and water info I need....but that's just me

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

reefer gladness

I do have a question for everyone or anyone who wants to help me. What has been everyones way of keeping track of there information (fish, changing dates, data, etc.)? Are you keeping some sort of book, journal, even a spreadsheet? I was thinking of making a spreadsheet on excel to write all my date and information down. Plus to keep a log on things.

A log is an excellent idea and very helpful over the long run, I use a simple free program called Aqualog. In particular I find it useful for tracking alkalinity, calcium and magnesium as these elements are constantly being depleted from my system and I have a dosing routine to maintain desired levels. The log was instrumental in keeping track of these values and how much I was dosing, etc. to maintain those levels. Also use it for reminders to change out media periodically, replace bulbs, etc.

http://joejaworski.com/aqualog/

ReefRage

I keep a journal one for each tank with all livestock and water info I need....but that's just me

Tank Stalker - How about them storms the other night...we got hammered but didn't have as bad has Iowa or south of us?

Also what type of journal do you do? Like just a notebook?

tank stalker

Tank Stalker - How about them storms the other night...we got hammered but didn't have as bad has Iowa or south of us?

Also what type of journal do you do? Like just a notebook?
Power was out for 4 and a half hours the other night. Where do you live reef rage

ReefRage

Power was out for 4 and a half hours the other night. Where do you live reef rage

Near Milwaukee, WI. We must have gotten hit by the upper part of the storm. I didn't lose any power but I heard that more then 100,000 people did. And some were out of power for like 2 days.

tank stalker

Yea a also has a couple of twisters touch down...and to answer your question I keep a little journal book of water parameters livestock dates that they were induced or died etc.

Snid

I keep a spreadsheet for my tests that I setup a chart diagram to so I can visually see the trends. I have it written down as well, just in case. I write information down in a log. And finally I keep an online journal here in our Reef Chronicles.

One thing I will suggest, looking back at your equipment, as the addition of a second heater. Add it to the tank at about 2 degrees cooler than the first one. It serves as a backup to the first one in case it fails. Then, each time you do your tank maintenance, make note of wether or not your primary heater is still operating. Heaters are relatively cheap, especially compared to the loss of livestock you can have from a heater failing in one day.

ReefRage

Snid,

Excellent idea. Certainly will look into doing something like that. did you find this out because of past experience?

jrose323

For the journal logging. I use an Iphone app call Aquarimate. Allows me to track water parameters for multiple tanks, track livestock in each of the tanks, set reminders for tasks to each tank (Water changes, etc) and has a livestock database for quick info references of individual livestock requirements, temperament, etc. Below is the URL to their site if you want to check it out.

http://www.aquarimate.com/

ReefRage

For the journal logging. I use an Iphone app call Aquarimate. Allows me to track water parameters for multiple tanks, track livestock in each of the tanks, set reminders for tasks to each tank (Water changes, etc) and has a livestock database for quick info references of individual livestock requirements, temperament, etc. Below is the URL to their site if you want to check it out.

http://www.aquarimate.com/

AWESOME!! just what I wanted, to bad it cost a little more then I thought. Will look further into this.

Snid

did you find this out because of past experience?

Actually, not me personally... When I was starting out and doing all my research, I read about a few cases where people got hit by heaters breaking on them and the losses they suffered. The worst case I remember reading about was when someone started a lights out for a few days to fight off algae blooms and the heater broke, so no heat from lights/heater during the day and the heater at night. They woke up to to find a floating cemetery.