Epsom Salt

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Boomer, (your answer will probably completely confuse me but I have to ask
wink.gif
)

Since I plan on using a certain salt (long term) that is low in mg (1170ppm), I decided to purchase a better mg supplement, Seachem magnesium supplement, instead of using Epsom salt.

Can you tell me what is missing from Epsom salts that would cause an "IONIC IMBALANCE" if used as a supplement constantly?

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
It is not what is missing from Epsom it is what it is = Magnesium Sulfate. Sulfate will rise more than Chloride and casue an ionic imbalance sooner. So I guess we could say Chloride is missing.

Randy has a full discussion here. I posted this here last week I think.

Do-It-Yourself Magnesium Supplements
for the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thanks Boomer. I will buy some MAG flake and use this recipe...

3. Using both Epsom salts and MAG Flake, dissolve 7¼ cups MAG flake and ¾ cup Epsom salts in one gallon of water, and use that to supplement magnesium in amounts determined using this linked online calculator, with the entry "Randy's Recipes 1 and 2 Versions A and B," and ignore for this purpose what those designations mean. This recipe is preferred, but its advantage over recipe #2 is minimal in most cases.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I was looking to purchase it online (no luck yet.. I hope Home Depot has it in stock) and came across this 'analysis' chart.

http://www.pioneermagnesia.com/products_applications_specifications.htm

spectit.jpg

Typical Analysis of
Export Grade
Magnesium Chloride
Hexahydrate Flakes
(MgCl26H2O)

MgCl26H2O % by mass = 98.0 to 99.0
Matter insoluble in water, % by mass = 0.01
Sulphate (as SO4), % by mass = 0.05
Calcium (as Ca), % by massNilIron (as Fe), PPM = Nil
Heavy metals (as Pb), PPMNilBoron (as B)35Nickel (as Ni), PPM = Nil
Arsenic (as As), PPM = Nil
Acidity (as HCI), % by mass = Passes test
Alkali Chloride (as NaCL),% by mass = 1.0
Ammonium Salts (as N) = 0.006​

MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE
HEXAHYDRATE FLAKES
brand named
‘MAGFLAKES’
MgCl26H2O 98% purity​

Boomer

Woody

Use the stuff BoomerD gave. The stuff you posterd is Ok but you MUST remember it is not the same as in Randy's article, it is

Magnesium Chloride, Hexahydrate Flakes (MgCl2...6H2O)

and Randy's is MgCl2...2H2O ( dihydrate), that is 2 water molecules and not 6 water, so you would need to add more of this Hexahydrate Flake, due to more water in it.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Boomer said:
Woody

Use the stuff BoomerD gave. The stuff you posterd is Ok but you MUST remember it is not the same as in Randy's article, it is

Magnesium Chloride, Hexahydrate Flakes (MgCl2...6H2O)

and Randy's is MgCl2...2H2O ( dihydrate), that is 2 water molecules and not 6 water, so you would need to add more of this Hexahydrate Flake, due to more water in it.

Yep, I bought the MAG flake (2H20) :D Thanks Boomer!

Boomer

icemelt and baking soda?

Yes booze, that is what two-parts are mostly of. Kent Turbo is "icemelt". The only issue is the grade of it. The biggest use of Mg-Chloide and Ca-Chloride, world wide, is for icemelt and dust control. Did you kow that those so called Nitrate sponges are kitty litter (many) = home water softner = floor dry(not all floor dry) = FW ammonia removers = Zeolite = Clinoptilolite ?

boozeman

Boomer said:
icemelt and baking soda?

Yes booze, that is what two-parts are mostly of. Kent Turbo is "icemelt". The only issue is the grade of it. The biggest use of Mg-Chloide and Ca-Chloride, world wide, is for icemelt and dust control. Did you kow that those so called Nitrate sponges are kitty litter (many) = home water softner = floor dry(not all floor dry) = FW ammonia removers = Zeolite = Clinoptilolite ?

:bugout: :bugout: :bugout: :bugout: