EMERGENCY- Tank Crashing Fast!!!

dani89

the fish in my mums fish tank keep dieing i think that she used the tetracycline as well and no other fiosh have died yet luv dani89 xxxxxxxxx

SaltyQueen

More problems... The remaining 2 fish in my tank seemed fine- the cloudy spot had cleared from the clown's eye, but a few days ago, I noticed that the clown is getting swollen in his belly area, and the blenny has some whitish splotched on his body- they almost look like the beginning of sores. So they are both back in the QT. Water params in the display tank are still normal. I tried feeding mushed peas & soaked their food in garlic, to see if that would help with the clown's bloating- nothing seems to help- he just keeps getting fatter and fatter every day- almost like he's got a tumor or something. He literally looks like he swallowed a ping pong ball- he's that swollen, but he's swimming around like nothing's wrong. For the blenny, I used Kordon Disease Treatment (supposed to be effective for a wide variety of parasites/protozoans- still no improvements. I also triend treating again with tetracycline, but they just aren't getting better. If these guys die, I'll be left with 2 shrimp and a few corals in my tank! Is there anything I can do if they have something viral??? Any other suggestions of what I could try???

Scooterman

I wisk TK was around he was really good with fish deseases, I really don't know what else to say but make sure water is prestine. We need some experts here to help out, do you have pictures?

SaltyQueen

Forgot to add- in better news, I graduated this past weekend!!! So as soon as I take the state exam, I'll officially be a Nurse Practicioner! Yeah! (if only I could figure out how to nurse my fish back to health...)

EdgeKrusher

SaltyQueen,
Kind of sounds like Dropsy to me. I witnessed this first hand with my first damsel. It's eyes got cloudy like yours, then cleared up, only to be followed by a swollen abdomen, and then death. Does it look like the scales are being forced up off the body?
Dropsy is not a disease but an internal bacterial infection, and can be treated with penicillin, tetracycline and naladixic acid.
I'm not sure if that's what it is, though it sounds like it. If you could get a pic that would be great.

Edit: Here's a link on Dropsy

Last edited:

SaltyQueen

My last clown died this evening. I wasn't able to get a pic, but I'm pretty sure it was dropsy. I don't think it was bacterial, though, because I had treated him twice with tetracycline (2 courses of 5 days each). I really think my tank got infested somehow with something viral. So now I'm down to the blenny and 2 shrimp. The blenny is still in QT, he's still got the white splotches, but they aren't getting any worse, so at this point, I guess that's a good thing.

This really is a huge let down for me, though. I've had the tank up and running for a year now, and everything was fine until now. I'm thinking of just sticking with the few critters I have left for a while, maybe taking a break before jumping in and investing a bunch more $$$ again in re-stocking the tank. I've taken a job as a pediatric nurse practicioner (leaving the psychiatric field...) in Green Bay (about 45 min. north of where I live now), so we will be moving up there this fall. Maybe I'll wait until after the move to start over again with the tank- give me some time to get over the discouragement of pretty much losing everything & get excited about getting more fish again. Thanks for all the advice & suggestions, though- I'll keep you posted about the blenny's health status.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Sorry for the frustrations, SQ :( On a positive note: Congrats on the new peds NP job (your psych background will be helpful for all of us moms)!! Please keep us posted on the blenny....

if you think that is a internal infection i used a maracyn 21 with great results to internal inf. also i soaked food withgarlic and zoe or other vitamin suplement to boost inmune system with great results , sorry for your looses .

SaltyQueen

The blenny is still in QT, still has the white splotches. I've been continuing to soak the food in garlic, but things seem to be staying pretty much the same for now. My inverts and corals seem fine- I've been keeping an eye on everything very closely, and I haven't noticed anything abnormal in the display tank yet. Thanks all for your encouragement! I'll continue to keep you posted about the blenny's health status...