EMERGENCY- Tank Crashing Fast!!!

SaltyQueen

Hello, all- haven't been around here much because I'm finishing up my master's program at school, but I'm having a major emergency this weekend...

29 gallon reef tank, up & running for a year now, with 2 ocellaris clowns, 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, royal gramma, midas blenny, and a few assorted corals. First of all, my water params are all ok.

Friday, when I got home from work, my husband informed me that my royal gramma was swimming around funny (upside down), so i immediately suspected swim bladder disease. When i went to check it out, though, he was already dead. Yesterday I did a 30% water change. Today, one of my clowns started doing the same thing, but he was dead within 5 minutes. I didn't know that swim bladder disease could kill fish so quickly, so now I'm not so sure that's what it is. Today, the other clown is swimming normally, but an hour ago, one of his eyes had a cloudy spot on it (not popeye, just a small couldy spot). Now, he is still swimming normally, but her has another cloudy spot on his other eye. The midas blenny, shrimp, and corals are all fine (which tells me it's not a water quality issue, because if that was the case, I would think the corals would be the first to go.

Do I have some sort of bacterial or viral infestation in my tank??? Can I treat it with anything without killing the corals? I would have QT'd the other fish, but they all died so quickly, i didn't get a chance. So I'm worried that even if I QT the remaining clown, that the bacteria/virus has already infested the tank & will spread to my other critters. I have no idea what to do. HELP!

Last edited:

mnreefman

i personally would take the clown out and treat it... keep an eye on all other fish as well, any signs that the other fish are infected get them out of the display as well...... soak all food in garlic as well...

SaltyQueen

think i should just use one of the broad-spectrum antibiotics they have in the fish stores on the clown in QT? (I've never had to use fish medicine before, so I'm not sure).

NaH2O

Contributing Member
SQ - I would definately treat the fish outside the tank. Not sure about products, but here is a link that may help you figure out a diagnosis:

FishyFarmacy

BoomerD

Nikki, GREAT link! I agree...anything like an antibiotic that you add to your tank, you take a strong chance in damaging or killing your inverts. Most will not take too kindly to the medications. Also, MOST antibiotics will kill or stunt your biological filter so be prepared for an ammonia/nitrite spike.

SaltyQueen

Thanks everyone- I think I am going to try treating with tetracycline (broad-spectrum antibiotic, since I don't really know what disease my critters are dying of). I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Gina

RS STAFF
Sorry to hear about your problem! Amazing how quickly things can go wrong and as far as diagnosing...I agree that an antibiotic that is broad spectrum would be best and then hope it works!
Let us know how things turn out for you! Karma!

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Sounds like you have a handle on taking care of the problem. Send my well wishes and hope things work out. Karma to ya!

Playa

Sorry to hear SQ:-(

If you have not put the antibiotic yet, if it is doable why not quarentine the rest of the fish since you said the corals are doing well.

Luis

Craig Manoukian

The antibiotic will only help if it is bacterial as I'm sure you are aware. If it's viral it's a whole different ballgame. Any conclusions about what it is?

Good luck!

SaltyQueen

OK, I have finished 3 days of treatment with tetracycline in the QT tank, and the clown's eyes have pretty much cleared up, and the midas blenny seems fine. I didn't QT the shrimp because I wasn't sure how the antibiotic would affect them, but all corals and the 2 shrimp seem ok right now. I was afraid I was going to lose everything for a while there, but I think all is well again. My husband & I are moving in 6 months, so I think I'm going to hold off on replacing any of my casualties, though. Thanks everyone!