emergency! help with my clam!

this is a double post but i am freaking out!

I recently got a clam and he has been looking good and attching slowly to a rock i set for him.
Well this morning i got up an found him almost completely closed with a nauserus (spelled right?) those big white floppy snails lodged underneath him.
i quickly removed him but my clam has yet to open at all!

is he going to be ok?!

blue_eyes53813

I would give it some time.. If the snail was moving or trying to get out it may have scared the clam , That is there defense mode to close tightly... See if the clam has any other scavengers around it.. A tightly close clam is not a bad thing.. It would be worse if the clam is open and not able to close and defend its self.

lcstorc

If the clam has died he will be wide open so actually it is a good sign that he is closed up. What type of clam is it? How long have you had it? Is it on the substrate or rockwork? It still attached? Water paramaters? Lights? How big is it? Sorry for so many questions but I have been reading a lot on clams lately and all of these things play into the equation.

SueT

scavengers in a reef tank will know long before we can see if a clam is not well or dying. If this was the only snail then I wouldn't worry but if you found more then there is definitely a more serious problem going on. Has anything else in the tank changed?? Water params?? What species of clam is this?? You should also be sure to check for pyramid snails and if this is a crocea, watch for pinched mantle. Long as a clam is not opening it is not recieving the lighting necessary to feed the zoo. in the clams mantle. So closing is not a good thing.

he is definately dead, yeah the scavengers knew found my crab on it another snail and a cleaner golby starting to make a home inside him. i really have know idea i woke up found the snail underneath him and that was it. parameters are good the only thing i can think of is i added calcium but thats because it was low and now its right on. im so sad!
i miss him :away:

SueT

I really hate to hear that... something definitely caused the problem, but it could even be from before you got the clam.