emerald crabs really like this?

nightfire76

hey guys,my 2 emeralds are doing awesome...thing is they dont stop eating,they have eaten almost all my larger algae,almost all the bubble algae...no hair algae just yet and this super awesome cool redish algae stuff i had that was very bushy and flowing,its only like half its size now......lol are these guys suppose to be such lawnmowers?

livebait

My 2 cleaned up my rockwork is a couple weeks but after the algae was gone one of them took up residence under my sea mat and would feast on the polyps all night long. He lives in the fuge now.

molsen187

the one i have is a pig. he destroyed all the algae in my tank in like a week. i got him the size of a dime and now he is bigger than a quarter. he is huge, i haven't had a problem with him eating coral but have heard they can do that.

Tru2nr

mine got to be about the size of a quarter...he was great until all of the algae was gone and then i would notice a poly floating around in the water colum here and there and then i caught him in the act...he quickly went to the refugium

I have a question about them eating bubble algae. Wouldn't that pop the bubbles and actually make a larger outbreak of bubble algae?

nightfire76

I have a question about them eating bubble algae. Wouldn't that pop the bubbles and actually make a larger outbreak of bubble algae?
im with ya on it though some say ya already have bubble algae in the tank so it wont pose that huge a problem,im not sure,i'll keep an eye open but so far they are doing great

phil47952

Cloudburst2000;744783]I have a question about them eating bubble algae. Wouldn't that pop the bubbles and actually make a larger outbreak of bubble algae?

I was wondering the samething until my 2 didn't touch the stuff, I got rid of it myself, today I saw a bubble so it's still with me and my crabs don't mind.

I'd still like to know how they do it tho. If they do

Phil

nightfire76

not enough to warrent starting the stove up lol me i think when i get my sump put together i'll keep one in my DT and the other in my fuge in the sump,i think 2 of them coupled with my urchin,snails and my peppermint,might be a bit too much,not sure yet

molsen187

i have one in my 55 and he more than enough lol. he really is a monster now, he scary to look at. if i see him near my ric or acans i'll go to shoo him away with my feeder and he'll just fight it now.

nightfire76

hey guys i just noticed my crab eating an over turned snail,is that ok or have i lost him to only eating meat now lol

I completely forgot I even bought one till I saw him the other night. I never see that guy and there he was on the bottom of one of my rocks just pickin algae. I was like WTF at first, and then I remembered oh yeah I did pick him up a few weeks ago lol

1Reefer

I've had some great emeralds and now have had my first evil! Crab. His thing was zoas, NGSP, and fresh growth on branching monti. All corals came back well and that emerald is awaiting a mantis shrimp "friend" in my fuge'