Emerald crab- keep or banish

Oxylebius

I've had a couple of emeralds over the years, haven't had any problems yet. My Sally does lunge at fish while I feed, she is trying tying to grab the food from the water column and tries to chase the fish off. But it is always good to keep in mind all crabs are opportunistic feeders and if algae isn't easily accessible they will tend to eat whatever they can get a hold of. I find my emerald and sally on the dried nori from time to time, so at least I know they are eating and aren't causing havoc with my sps and other critters.

klok95330

From what I've seen, crabs of all kinds are opportunistic type feeders. If its there and they're hungry, watch out. You could have just bought him a 10-50 dollar meal. I'm very cautious about any and all crabs from my own experience. I've had some gnarly looking crabs in my tank. They are very ballsy and hard to catch too.

Phishy68

Mine is cool. He stays in his area and I feed him a small piece of nori. He reaches out an grabs it, then pulls into his little crevice. I had one for about a year and a half and he was always a good boy. He finally died and I had to get another.

cgkrick

I have 3 emeralds in a RSM 65. They were purchased to eat green algae and have been doing a decent job for 3 months. I don't see them that often really. Now, my 3 peppermint shrimp have been MIA for a week. I am suspicious.

StirCrayzy

Shrimp sometimes find the backside of a rock very cozy, but if there are (evil) crabs around they are always suspect #1in my book.