Elmo's 115G mixed reef

IamELMO

Well, it's a week away but I had to burst into print. I'm getting all excited now.

I have 4x2x2 starphire tank, I've got calfo (coast to coast, but only 30") along the back. Skimmer is Reef Octopus NW-200 that's already been mesh modded. The return pump is 6500L going through a SCWD 1" output. I have about 40kgs of rock (90lbs). Sump is a 36" 49G tank which I put my own baffles in, first compartment will be for skimmer, next for DSB/refuge then last for return pump.

I can't wait. Pics to come once it's all put together

Last edited:

IamELMO

HA, I went out an bought a new camera specifically for the project. So am in the process of learning how to use it. It's been a long time coming so to be this close almost painful...

IamELMO

I have a rough wish list, but every time I make a decision I find something else/better so have a few things confirmed and a few things up in the air.

Adam Black

If the tank is still at the manu. you should go with a 48 inch Coast to Coast. I think I'm going to go with the same Return pump. Ocean runner 6500? Sounds really nice by the way:D

IamELMO

It's already made sitting in my room right now. I went that length as I have a return on each side of it, slightly higher than the drain holes.

IamELMO

SWEET!! Renovations done, so the build can begin. Picking up the last of the plumbing bits today after work. I have a drain in the wall for easy water changes as well. So the chronicle begins today

IamELMO

I realise this is possibly the boringest build thread so far, BUT, I got the plumbing done the other day. Did the leak test, fixed the leaks (hopefully). Still nothing really to take photos of, the plumbing work isn't worth showing off. A couple of things I did notice, does anyone else with a SCWD notice they are noisy? Like a washing machine in the next room? Maybe something is loose, I don't know but the whirring is quite loud. I'm considering taking the switching mechanics out and having it as a big black tee.

Otherwise, my tank gets salty in the next couple of days, whenever I work out how to get 500L of salt water into my room. Then the pics will come :)

IamELMO

Now with pics :)

I spent way longer than I wanted to getting my drain vs return rates balanced without the noise. I finally managed to do this, but the level in my sump is slightly higher than I wanted it. I'm leaving it though cos a/ I'm lazy, b/ it's working and c/ it's not doing any damage.

So now the fun part - waiting, waiting and waiting. But I figured, it's been 2 yrs to get here so even staring at a murky tank with rocks in it is fun for me

I'm pretty happy with the aquascape but as you can see, it's not all cleared yet so I'm sure I'll find things that bug me. Anyway, here's some snapshots of my journey here.

EmptyFTS.jpg

Overflow.jpg

Sump.jpg

skimmersump.jpg

clearingFTS-1.jpg

workingsump.jpg

The sandbed is about 12cm - or just shy of 5 inches deep.

skimmate.jpg

The skimmate I got in about an hour. Admittedly though, I was running it very wet. I've dialed it back to get a drier skimmate.

Now we wait........

IamELMO

I'm considering it. I was planning on it, and may just slide a sheet of plastic or something behind the tank. But figured the coralline would cover the back fast enough. I'll see what it looks like once the water clears

IamELMO

FTShalides.jpg

Full tank shot with my halides on

AngleFTS.jpg

Rightsideclear.jpg

The right side tunnel

Leftsideclear.jpg

Left side, the algae in the corner isn't hair algae, it's a really tough almost plasticy scour pad type algae. I thought I'd leave it there as it's on an easily accessible rock so if it gets a problem - he's outta there!!

IamELMO

Ok, the cycle has finished, I have a bad algae problem (not as bad as it could be but still pretty hairy)

Have started introducing some corals. here's some pics

GSP already spreading onto other rock
IMG_1293.jpg

My hammer, it had some tissue loss but has started to come back strongly
IMG_1294.jpg

Nice green Zoo's
IMG_1291.jpg

Multi Zoo rock
IMG_1297.jpg

My two mushrooms
IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

IamELMO

Well it's been a while since an update, but still no fish. I'm being VERY patient....... But my few corals are doing well

My mushroom split so have two now :)
IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg

With no fish, these things are going crazy!!
IMG_1339.jpg

My sun coral, I love this things - it's so cool
IMG_1331.jpg

Downside though, I'm still struggling with those effing nudibranchs!!! I just keep finding them..... I read that a strong dose of flat word exit may help - but I'm still not sure. These dang things just keep coming. Grrrr SO ANGRY!!!!!! :flaming: :cursin: :verymad: