Elegance Coral Experience

75reef

Does anybody have experience with elegance corals? I just got one for my tank and seemed to acclimate very quickly. I heard these are harder to keep within the last few years and just wanted to hear some input from anybody else that have maybe kept these.

SeahorseBT

Is it an aussie elegance or an indo? For some reason the Aussie ones have much much higher survival rates. I think it has to do with the holding conditions when they are collected. I have a aussie elegance right now and while it may be too early for me to be claiming success (only one month) it seems to be thriving.

thearnley

I have a fairly large elegance (6 mouths). I have found that I need to keep it fed regularly with pieces of silversides to keep it healthy and at it's full glory. Otherwise it seems to wither and look withdrawn. Every 3-4 days I try to get at least 3-4 of the mouths to accept a piece of fatty silverside.

michael_cb_125

The aussie elegance do much better than specimens collected from other locations. There is a thread on another forum about a guy who regularly frags his. I plan on adding an aussie elegance to my tank, but I am going to buy a captive raised frog or clone.
~Michael

75reef

Thanks guys/gals! Mine is 3 days new for me and seems to be opening up nicely. Mine is an eastern coral. I have a picture of it in my photos section. Any other suggestions for target feeding these besides silversides?

thearnley

It helps if you feed the fish and filter feeders first. Let the target feeders sense that there's food in the water. Works for me. Seems to get the tentacles a bit more stretched and ready. Then when I touch the flesh with some silverside pieces, it grabs it quicker and the 'competition' is more distracted eating the other food in the water. Give the target feeders more of a chance to grab the food and get it in their mouths.

michael_cb_125

If you do much research on these corals you will see that the average reef tank is not a suitable home for them. Elegance corals are typically found on mudflats or back water lagoons. The water in these areas is full of debris and particulate matter. And as such light penetration in these areas is not as great as on a reef crest. Most people setup reef aquariums to replicate reef crest environments. That is, we have large amounts of rock, high flow, and very "clean" water. Unfortunately, these amazing corals are not typically found in areas such as this. They are usually found sitting in the mud. These corals must be carefully adjusted to high light conditions. Since they come from more turbid waters, light penetration is far less than in areas of clear water. I have read many cases of these corals experiencing polyp bail out, which usually leads to death.
Also, since these corals can adapt (are adapted) to low lighting conditions, it should be understood that they rely on outside food sources. So regular feedings are very helpful.

So in short be sure to adjust slowly to high light. Feed regularly. Place the coral on a soft substrate (not rock). And be sure not to blast it with heavy water flow.
~Michael

75reef

well, I will be feeding it today so I will see how that goes. It is sitting in the substrate right now but I may move him a little more in the shade if high light is an issue with these corals.

framerguy

They can handle bright light and IME actually seem to do better under bright but somewhat diffused lighting, but as Michael said they need to be acclimated slowly. They are natural crustacean eaters and mine seem to do best when they are fed with krill. Feed the entire shrimp, shell and all, to them. I am in the process of setting up a seagrass refugium in an attempt to offer them their natural habitat. It will have bright metal halide lighting but it will be diffused by the grasses. It may take some time to establish this tank though.

I have two Elegance corals. One I have had for over two years. It did not fare very well in the "moving to a new house" transition and most of it's long beautiful tentacles receded. It has been six months and they are recovering nicely though. My newest Elegance is doing very well and opens beautifully. I have noticed it opens the most while the metal halide lights are on. Both are in a medium flow area so their tentacles "wave" back and forth but are not constantly buffeted.

Maybe that info will help you locate yours in the best spot.

75reef

Wow, thank you so much for that response - quite a lot of valuable information! how often do you target feed them?