Electrical Shock from Bad Heater

magnetar68

I was making 25 gallons of salt water and needed to heat it to 78, so I dropped in a spare Red Sea 150W Heater. This was in a Rubber Maid 32 gallon trash can.

I put my finger in to check the temperature after a couple of hours and my finger hurt. Then I realized I was getting shocked. Not a big shock, but enough to replace the outlet in the garage with a CFGI outlet and maybe start using a grounding probe in my salt making container.

Anyway, my main question. I plan to put a grounding probe in the sump and the DT. Will it work to put the grounding probe in the external weir? The water drops about 2 inches so there is a little water fall, but I assume electrons have no problem travelling through the moving water. The tank is 48x24x24 and the weir is 48x4x8 (Coast-to-Coast overflow). I am trying to avoid the unsightly wire in the DT.

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
It will work. Even if it didn't go down through the waterfall, which it will (coming from someone who's light arks into my arm when I lean on it), the system is still all connected through the drain, the sump, and the return plumbing.

I'd replace the heater anyways...