Electrical Outlets?

BHinAK

normally 15 to 20 amps depending on the breaker in the panel. If you take the cover off the outlet in the wall the amperage will be near the center screw hole, most likely 15 A.

Dragon Wrasse

Normal house current is 15 Amps, power strips will also have a 15A breaker on them, GFI exstensions will be rated at 15A but I think they are alittle less, I can't run my PC's on them.

Nucem

I just ran a dedicated 20 amp for circuit for my tank. I was afraid with all the lighting I want and equipment I need it would be to much on the circuit in that room. Don't quote me on this but I think most recommend not going over 80% of total load on a circuit. So when adding up all your equipment don't forget whatever else is in the room drawing from the same circuit. I figured with my luck the answering machine would pick up when I'm not home drawing enough power to pop the breaker in the whole room killing entire tank.
:thumbup:

garas

i wouldnt go over 10A never good to take it to the limit. most power boards round here (australia) are rated 10a, although our voltage is more than double whats in the us therefore increasing power dissipation and limiting current

15Amp @ 115v = 1725W
15Amp @ 240v = 3600w

P(watt) = I (amps) x V (volts)
and
I = P / V

Icebox

Lets talk a moment on this... National Electric Codes say not to use more than 80% of the capacity of the breaker/outlet. So this will limit you a little. Actual line voltage varries from 115 to 120 volts... Garas is right... P(watt) = I (amps) x V (volts)

15 amp outlet requires at least a #14 wire, 80% of apx 1800 W = 1400 watts max

20 Amp, requires #12 wire; 80% of apx 2400W = 1920W Max

Most household outlets are 15 amps. However, my house is wired with 15 amp outlets, on a 20 amp breaker. This would allow me to a change the outlet to a 20 amp if I wanted to or would give me the ability to have a total load under the 1920 max. However since the outlets are 15 amp I have to respect the load limits of 1400 watt max.

So you need to start with the breaker and see what it says. Then look at the outlet. If the outlet if a 15 A and the breaker is a 20A (the wire should be a #12 if attached to a 20 A breaker) You can upgrade to a 20A outlet. I would double check the wire size before doing this.

As also stated, most surge protectores are 15 amps. Make sure you do not over load them. It is possible to pull more than the posted load through a breaker which can cause excessive heat and can be dangerous. :)

HTH

Dragon Wrasse

Icebox is right the diameter of you wire is going to dictate your amp load, electrons run on the surface of the wire (bigger wire has more surface area) not down the middle. The lower the wire number the larger the wire, #12 AWG (american wire gauge) is larger than #14 thus having more surface area and able to handle more current (Amps).

WaiWiliki

Thanks.... I remember having this class in school.. but it doesn't mean I have to remember any of it. lol....

Icebox

No problem. If we can help anymore, just yell. I just wired my tank... HEHEHE (a subpanel for only my tank. Powered by a 50 amp double breaker in the house panel.) I so if I ever need more power, I will have to run a new line to the house. :-D

anyway yell if I can help.

Icebox

I was sort of thinking about a windmill. or maybe that should be 2 windmills. :)

Maybe a Damn on the New River in front of the house would be a good idea as well. :)