Eddies noob tank. The journey begins.

Eddieelq

This is going to be my personal update page so you guys can critique, critisize, help, etc. :turntable

Here's the start photos

DSC_0591.jpg

DSC_0590.jpg

Those were last weeks photos, I've since added much more live rock, cleaned the tank, and made it look much better. Got a friend haning on to the corals for me till I get everything up to par. Updated photo coming soon. :D

rdwilson91

Looking forward to it! I'm glad True Percula is helping you out with this. You gotta find people who knows what they're doing: no one finds out how to run a reef on their own.

smkndrgn142

Looking good so far! Looks like you got some good advice and reading material in your other thread. 5 days is way too soon to introduce life to a tank, I'm glad you've got someone looking after them for you while things get started. Sounds like you've got some good help.

rdwilson91

I'd wait until the nitrites are zero and add a guppy. If your water is still slightly toxic, he won't care, it'll help build the bacterial colony, and if something goes wrong, a guppy's cheaper than a clean up crew. Also, since it will almost definitely be raised in freshwater, most parasites and other bad sh*t won't survive a second in full salt.

Eddieelq

I'd wait until the nitrites are zero and add a guppy. If your water is still slightly toxic, he won't care, it'll help build the bacterial colony, and if something goes wrong, a guppy's cheaper than a clean up crew. Also, since it will almost definitely be raised in freshwater, most parasites and other bad sh*t won't survive a second in full salt.

link to what a guppy is?

rdwilson91

It's an extremely common freshwater fish that can live in any salinity level. Perc has them, so does every petsmart and petco, usually for $1 a piece

smkndrgn142

don't buy a guppy, drop a piece of shrimp or scallop in there...no need to risk the life of a critter. you just need a source of ammonia, and a rotting piece of fish will accomplish that. Just remember to pull it out after a few days.

smkndrgn142

Learned something new today, might pull my rocks out then and do some drilling lol.

just remember not to use wooden dowels! Use PVC or something else that won't break down in salt water. There are some good threads on doing this with many good ideas for locking the rocks together.

Eddieelq

Added more live rock and took some sand out. Water looks like it's moving well with no dead spots! Also added another blower. Also decided to go with a biological filter and got rid of the filter balls and sponges.

Week 2 begins!

DSC_0598.jpg

DSC_0602.jpg

DSC_0603.jpg

Eddieelq

Got three new corals and will be upda pics tonight!!!

My two peppermint shrimp went to work on those aiptasias. Zero left

QuentinB

Hey, found a rockwork thread that I had seen a while ago, not so much instructional, but has plenty of pics so you can get a pretty good idea:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/44055-rockwork.html

Also, I believe they use acrylic for the pegs(dowels), so basically a mini-blind twisty stick thing. And black zip ties to hold stuff in place, if you position everything right, once algae and corals fill in the space it'll be nearly impossible to tell how it's held together. good luck with whatever you decide to do!