Eco Aqualizer what do think?

djpj001

Hello-

I've decided to upgrade my protein skimmer for the first time and don't want to make the same mistake by buying a useless skimmer. I ran into a site that sells a ionization purification system. The site claims it works better than a protein skimmer, reduces your water changes by 75%, and does not suck in essentials nutrients like a protein skimmer. Here's the site if you want to check it out yourself. Should I stick to getting a new skimmer ? Is anyone familar with the ionization machine or have one?

http://www.ecoaqualizer.com/Free-Trial.htm

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
djpg, interesting reading,firstly there is no mention of maintenance materials,supplies etc. as a supplimental piece of equipment time will tell, as a substitute for a skimmer ??? Ive got it in my will when i go the skimmer goes with me. Steve:lol:

djpj001

Yeah I thought it was pretty intresting too, cause I've never heard of such device. I guess I'll wait and see if people are successful with this product. So what do you recommend for a 90 gallon reef tank. Protein skimmer i mean.
Thx

reefjitsu

Eco-aqualizer = snake oil. It is just useless garbage designed to seperate the green from your wallet.

Witfull

according to their terms of use, they do not want any website talking about their product.

TERMS OF USE
ECO-Aqualizer authorizes you to view and download the materials at this website only for your personal and non-commercial use. The usage of this website is provided that you retain all copyright and other proprietary notices contained in the original materials on any copies of the materials. No modification is allow to be done on this website in any way or reproduce, distribute or otherwise use them for any public or commercial purpose. It is prohibited to use these materials or information on any other website or networked computer environment for any purpose. The materials on this website is copyrighted. Unauthorize use of any materials at this Site may violate copyright, trademark and other laws.

ECO-Aqualizer and the names of ECO-Aqualizer products or logo used and displayed on this website are Trade Marks of ECO-Aqualizer Company. Therefore, the name of ECO-Aqualizer or the logo shall not be used in any way, including in advertising or any public distribution of the materials on this website, without prior written permission.

Other product or company name mentioned in this website maybe trademarks and/or service marks of their respective owners.
This disclaimer shall take effect to the fullest extend permitted by law.
it appears they want you to buy it on faith.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I'm going to Mars tommorrow so who wants to go, it is free ? I'll be driving my car, so pack a lunch :D

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Boomer said:
I'm going to Mars tommorrow so who wants to go, it is free ? I'll be driving my car, so pack a lunch :D

Haha... :LOL:

.... I want to go. :invisible

I see there is a lot of negative opinions for this product on this site and others. Are there any actual users of this item with an opinion? I have yet to find any references to it's actual use! One site even got into some sort of cat fight that droned on for 20 pages without one coherent description of it's actual performance.

Yes it does seem to be completely unlikely that such a product could deliver on it's claims, but it would be really nice to hear from one user that has actually tried the item.

jm2cnts

BoomerD

Inland Reef did a full analysis of this product, and found it to be smoke and mirrors. Unfortunately, their review is no longer available. Rumors said that they got sued by the manufacturer of the Eco-Aqualizer and lost badly. Maybe someone who knows Morgan Lindster can find out the truth about that.
To me, this is just as much "snake oil" as the magnets you attach to your fuel line for "improved gas mileage" by "aligning the fuel molecules"...Any of you OFR's remember the days when taping a cow magnet to your fuel line just before the carb was supposed to be the "cats pajamas"? Pure junk science IMO.

reefjitsu

Are there any actual users of this item with an opinion? I have yet to find any references to it's actual use!

That is the problem with this product, there is no evidence of it working, it has no science behind it's claims. The only evidence that it works is anecdotal, no quantative results whatsoever. Just saying " I used it and my tank looks better" is no proof at all.

http://rexgrigg.com/debunked.htm

boozeman

:bugout:
thanks djpj001 for showing this product I never knew existed...I have been all day looking at thread upon thread on dozens of reef sites some going back for years ...it certainly has incited many reefers across the boards(on one even to the point where someone took the unit apart! :lol:) :thumbup:

SueT

at one of our MARSH meetings we had the guy that sells these contraptions, he should of stayed home. Eric Borneman got hold of him with some questions and I have never laughed so hard. It actually was quite sad to see, this poor guy didn't know what hit him. This thing is a useless pice of junk.

djpj001

Your welcome Boozeman- and thank you all for the great advice. I guess I'm upgrading to a new skimmer. Any suggestions on good skimmers would be great.

Stevenmi

You guys just dont get it...

This product does things to the water, and because of the stuff it does, it makes water better, its really quite simple. No need for second guessing and validation of the things about the stuff....just accept it.

Steve

mps9506

Stevenmi said:
You guys just dont get it...

This product does things to the water, and because of the stuff it does, it makes water better, its really quite simple. No need for second guessing and validation of the things about the stuff....just accept it.

Steve

At the ole RAG (Reef Aquarium Guide in the good ole days) back when alf was around he did a test on this product which he got as a sample or somthing:
Update:

Start of test. Kit used salifert
ammo. O
PH 8.3
alk 9.5
ca. 425ppm
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate undetectable.
Ok well I installed the unit On my 2 year old 125gal reef system. After 20 days of test I have ran into a few observations. I have had 2 unexplained Deaths in the tank. First death in this tank for established critters in over a year. 1 fish [but this fish was only in my tank 3 months]. No signs of infection, was eatting well, disappered over night, and I never found the body[ which is not all that unusual in my tank] so that i could inspect it for problems. But what dissturbs me the most is I lost My 2 year old clam that was resideing in this tank. No signs of problems just up and died. Some of My LPS were not looking well either. Polyp extention was not at it's best.
So I ran some test. Ph staying at around 8.4, Ammo Zero, Nitrite undetectable, Nitrate undetectable. So this was not the problem. But My Alk had seem to fall over this 20 day period as well as CA. Alk was at 6DKH and CA was at 300ppm. First time in a long time these had fallen out of balance.

So I unhooked the gadget. I have a done a few water changes to bring the system back into balance. Once I have stabelized the system I am going to try again to see if the device is the cause of the problem.

At this point I want to be sure that the device is the root before blamming it. But at this point I am pointing my finger at it as this system has always ran stable up to this Time.

Also I had not seen any increase in skimmate that it claims to do. water clairity did seem to improve a little but they say it takes three full weeks before you start to see any change. So i did not quite make it to that point, but close.

All other fish are doing well, Clam that is 1.5 years old in this tank is also doing well. After the water changes and the device being offline three days polyp extention has returned.
test I ran this weekend:
PH 8.3
Ammo 0.0
Nitraite 0.0
Nitrate undetectable
Alk 9.5
CA 375

The real issue is that their claims to how the unit works has no scientific basis, I don't go out and buy something based on anecdotal findings.

Here are a few threads for background on this product (which has become the laughing stock of the reef aquarium hobby imo):
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=175135&perpage=25&pagenumber=1
http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33809&highlight=eco+aqualizer

And some info on ionizing water:
http://www.chem1.com/CQ/ionbunk.html#ECOA