EagleEyes' 20 gallon - Closet is not the place for it.

EagleEyes

So i have this 20 gallon glass aquarium ive had in the closet. It does not satisfy me to have it in there and i could use the place for golf clubs. I have a whole wall where i keep my 10. Seems like a whole wall deserves a bigger tank!
I would need lights, and basically everything else but the tank. lol A Dual PC for it would be great, and money is tight right now.. I like DIY (golf balls to heighten my lights is REAL DIY, see my Reefspace..) so i could pretty much do anything thats not expensive. The tank is about 30inX12.75inX12.5in.

Here's a overview of what i want.

I would like to house gobies, blennies and make it into a coral tank. I love LPS's and clams.. clams i am a little aprehensive about though.
Soft body corals: Zoanthids, Ricordia
LPS: (dont know what this yellow one is called, ive seen it before someplace.. and i really like it!)

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/data/510/tank_stuff_001.jpg

GOT IT!! (This is an edit) It is a Sun Coral, pretty obvious, and i think i knew that from some time before.

frogspawn, diploastraea (right pic) and a leather like the one on the left (pic).
I will get some awesome snails for sand sifting, and my other tank has a great population of copepods (small crustaceans) to add to the tank.
I like Harlequin shrimp, but ill have to look more into it before i get it.
One thing i would enjoy very much is a couple shrimp to partner with the corals! Seeing that in various corals (in pics only) has made an impact on me.

I hope i can do it! :bump: :p

Attachments

• 100_0539.jpg
    100_0539.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 113
  • diploastrea_dec_23_06.jpg
    diploastrea_dec_23_06.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

DaBird

careful, sounds like you've got the fever...That's one expensive fever...LOL...good luck on your new tank...

EagleEyes

Thanks Bird, i will probably adjust this to curb that expensive tendancy but it is a place to start. (one step at a time)
I am looking at a 30" Coralife Aqualight. Single Linear Strip Compact Fluorescent Fixture (65W Total).

EagleEyes

Oh i almost forgot, one of my Astraea's looking sick or something. Was on its back for a little while but now has found its way upright. Took a little while, usually is pretty quick to get back up. I believe that it was stressed from move. I acclimated them using drip method, very slow and very thorough. Im just going to wait it out to see what happens, I think that it will get its berrings back.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
EagleEyes, sounds like a good plan. What kind of filtration are you running? Protein skimming is crucial to good water quality which you will need to house some of those corals you listed. The Aqua C Ramora skimmer is supposidly a good skimmer. Also, how much live rock do you have?

Mechanical (skimming) and biological (live rock, live sand) filtration are two of the most important aspects of setting up a reef system. Without them you will not have much success with sensitive invertebrates like corals.

If funds are tight, try looking on e-bay or other sites for good buys on used skimmers.

Also there is a reason for your heavy algae growth. Either, high nitrates, high phosphate and/or high silicates in your water. A combination of these and the lighting are fueling your algae farm. Are you using filtered water of any kind or tap water?

Also, if you see your Astrea snail struggling on its back-help it! Flip it over with a chop stick or something. Sometimes they can not right themselves, especially if on the gravel because they have nothing solid to grab onto, and they die.

Looking forward to seeing your creation flourish!:) Best of luck to you!

EagleEyes

Quickly, Dentiod, the snail did right itself, and now is back on its back. What was really cool was when i got home just now and checked on him, one of the Nassareus was head to head with it, almost crawling on top if its foot.

In this new system i will just have a big sump. Read my other thread on "no filter media." There are some articles and some pics of people whose tanks are basically ecosystems with no mechanical filtration, not even a skimmer. If the water to livestock ratio is wide enough i should be able to house corals with no problem, but i will need a really good cleanup crew and and elaborate nutrient conversion setup. My ten gallon has been there for a year, jsut equaling itself out, so now i am looking at getting things for it. Slowly but surely i will add stuff, making sure that the tank can support them.

In the NEW tank i will make sure that the ratios are right before adding anything. This is a good article for backing my philosophy:
Reef Aquaria as Ecosystems - by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

EagleEyes

I have the money and the time and the tools. So i am going to start this weekend. Heres a guy with a dumb question - ::points to self:: Will a 78 watt T-5 VHO light be enough for a 15 inch deep aquarium? They are as expensive or less expensive than the PC lighting i have over my ten. Heres the link:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=16770&N=2004+113175
If anyone has any other better ideas for that depth i would be gracious beyond repair. My original list WAS admittedly too much for me so i will start with a candy cane coral (Caulustrea furcata), an orange tube coral (Tubastrea aurea), and a Trumpet Coral (Caulastrea curvata).

My ten gallon had some troubles with blue green algae, so i went and made a quarantine tank for my snails, on my nightstand no less. They are in there with some Chaeto, some the shells and stuff from my HOB filter, and a couple peices of the LR, for further filteration. I have been bringing some RO water from work for this endeavor. I also did a 40-50% water change in my regular tank using the RO water and the last of my salt.

So my plan is this: Order the stand. I would prefer a table so i will shop around some more.. Drill the tank, get the fittings for the plumbing. Slowly bring home RO water from work because i can not do it all at once. ::sneaky sneaky sneaky:: Order a light, after considering your undeniably immaculate advice. Maybe work on a design for the sump.

Finally, relax with a drink.

Attachments

• IMG_1390.jpg
    IMG_1390.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 74

EagleEyes

lcstorc

They both look pretty good. The first one is pretty much zoas and the second has more diversity. Personally I would go with #2 but that is all personal preference. One thing you should do, is check our sponsors. Not sure if the sale is still going on but mrcoral was having a sale and Trieu-Exotics had some incredible deals on frag packs for zoas and mushrooms. There is lots out there so take your time and find what you like. Pretty much any softies are going to be fine. Just avoid the ones that sting since things will be close together.

EagleEyes

Ive just discovered that my friends parents have a 55 gallon sitting at their house in pheonix.. dry!! I might be getting a 55 gallon and using the 20 gallon as a sump. Updates will follow. I might just look for a 29 if that doesnt work out.

I have currently decided that my choices for corals for this tank were a little too advanced to begin with. So, I will be working my way up, slowly* to Ricordia. I've decided that Ricordia are my all time favorite.

Here is the vision:

- Fine sand particles, 4-5" deep. I like a black or dark sand because it brings out the colors in corals i believe. Fine sand none the less.
- T-5's, not sure if you need more for ricordia. (I hear they need low to med. light. SOME need high. Is this correct?)
- I would make the 20 gallon into the sump, modding it so that i can use my skimmer. I might not need to if it is mostly coral and very few fish. I have chaeto to put into the sump, i want to get some gracilaria parvispora, or long ogo, because it is delicious when pickled. Liveaquaria has it. common name escapes me.
- I think i will try to supplement it with additives because buying the salt and doing water changes.. i dont know why i dont have it in me. Anyone have this problem? I will add RODI water for top off no problem, but i cant put my finger on the reason why water changes just arent my thing. Lets say that someone i live with is a bit on the tense side when it comes to me working with water and electricity.

Triggerjay

Water changes are a must. Here is the reason why.. When your water evaporates, only pure water is evaporated, leaving behind all the stuff introduced that you DO NOT want in your tank. Over time, this concentration of the bad stuff will get higher, (meaning more pollution in your tank). Every time you feed your tank, you are also introducing unwanteds. If all you do is top off, eventually the pollution levels will reach levels unhealthy to your critters.. By doing water changes, you remove some of the bad stuff, as well as replenish the good keeping things in check. Its a win win situation, but unfortunatley, NO water changes will result in a bad experience over time. I know you didnt want to hear that, but in this hobby, water changes are a major part to a successful aquarium. You should also look into ground fault circut interrupters to ease the mind of that someone you live with, and protect youself while working in/on/around the tank. They are a great investment. Cheap insurance for a life. Good luck with the new setup when you get it. Cant wait to hear more about it!

Jason

EagleEyes

I spent the evening last night reading Melev's Reef pages, the one on RODI is cool and he even tells you how to hook up your own GFCI's. He didnt say how to install them in the wall though, im sure that is because every one's houses are different. YOU make a good gooood point Triggerjay, something i did not think about. I was under the impression that only things like ammonia and silicates were being left behind. But if you're talking about things like you would add if you just put your hand into the tank without first making sure it was clean, then you have convinced me.

EagleEyes

I am looking at getting all of the test kits i need for the 55 gallon. Im still not sure if i am able to get the tank, but i need the test stuff anyways. I have a kit for Iodine and Iodide, Iron, Magnesium and Carbonate Borate, pH and Alkaline, (i already have the pH but not alkaline) and Silica. Also, i bought a 160 gallon thing of salt mix. (Instant Ocean if anyone wants to know.)

lcstorc

Also on the must have list would be amonia, nitrates, and phosphates.
I totally understand about the water/electrical issue. My reef has been "Lynn proofed" since I am notoriously dangerous around such things. You need to figure out a good way to do water changes while minimizing the danger. They really are required to keep a reef tank happy and healthy. Just remember the motto. "Dilution is the solution to polution" That is one of the major things you are doing with a water change. Diluting all the bad stuff. Plus it replaces trace elements etc.

caitrina

But if you're talking about things like you would add if you just put your hand into the tank without first making sure it was clean, then you have convinced me.

I found this sentence in one of your posts and I just want to give you a heads up on doing just that, putting your hand into your tank, not to scare you away from the hobby, but to make you aware of the possible dangers. Wear gloves, I hate them myself and sometimes I am just as guilty in not wearing them, when I have to pick up something delicate, but most of the time I do wear them. Read this post and also you can put the words "reef dangers" in the search box and find more posts.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/1285-reefkeeping-dangers.html

EagleEyes

Yeah, thanks caitrina, thts exactly what i was talking about. When a tank is small, you can integrate whatever you have on your skin, oils, hairs, dirt under your fingernails.. and you dont even know what is under your fingernails! Gloves all the way. When i was at my LFS the last time, one of the guys got bristleworm spines in his finger. Looked just like cactus. Thanks again!!