Dwarf Angel in 130D?

oceanicmike

Hey Guys

I was wondering about adding a small dwarf angel fish to the tank. Maybe a flame or flame back. I know they have been known to pick at corals but I have read if they are well fed they should be ok. I guess it depends on the fish. I know the tank is a little small but plan to upgrade down the road. Thanks for your input.

McClain75

Hi,

The minimum recommended size for a dwarf flame angel is around 70 US gallons. That being said, i have seen plenty in a smaller tank and they seem to do ok. The main problem would be their aggression, and their risk of biting at your coral, inverts and general overbearing behaviour towards other inhabitants.

Our flame angel did great in our 130d. It has now been moved into the 650 we set up. It never bothered anything. I think it's become more territorial in the 650 than it was in the 130d.

Matt

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I fell in L:heart:OVE with a tiny little dwarf Cherub Angel that was swimming in a very small nano reef sitting on the checkout counter at the LFS....they had him in with corals in that tiny tank. So when they got one for sale, I brought it home & it's been the best little "mind his own business" & swim pretty through the rocks fish in my tank. My clowns like to harass him & have chewed on his tail a few times but he out runs them through the rock scape. So, I've seen them in smaller tanks too. Do you think you'll ever want a larger tank? that's be a good excuse to go BIGGER :D

oceanicmike

I would love to go larger but this is my first SW tank and only started it 3 months ago. Trying to take baby steps before I take the plunge to a RSM 650 down the road. Thats even more of a commitment and I want to be more knowledgeable to this hobby

The Coral Beauty Angel is a fantastic choice for a RSM 130D. It's peaceful (relative to the other dwarf angels), relatively hardy and gorgeous. If you were going to put a dwarf angel in your 130D, I'd go with that one.